Famous YouTube stars are barely scraping by

No the figure is that most restaraunts in New York City fail with in three months. And thats down to the competitive nature of that particular market. I also doubt it would have much to do with owners thinking like chefs. Because chefs are seldom owners of restaurants, and very rarely have enough cash to make the attempt with out investors.

In my experience new restaurants fail because owners seldom understand the mechanics involved. Many seem to think they run on auto pilot and print money. But this is a really low margin buisiness. With careful control in the right market you can create a decent salary for an owner or two and maybe some key employees. But simple mistakes like not setting your markup high enough, seating groups at larger tables than they need, and failing to account for waste can rapidly erode your slim profit margin (average on alcohol is 15-20% food is typically sub 10%). My rule of thumb is a restaurant does not make money, restaurantS make money. Real success in food/bev is contingent on owning multiple businesses in multiple markets at multiple price points.

In terms of these young women. It’s disappointing to hear, but frankly their basically in the same boat as most of us in that age group. Working our asses off to slowly go broke with little hope of relief or advancement. It’s easy to say YouTube should compensate them better, but with those kinds of audience numbers they would have been (in all likely hood) cancelled by now. Traditional media might have paid them better to start, but the decision to continue would be out of their hands and they’d be out of a job or on to the next thing. I know a lot of performers who would be lucky to be in their place. Many of them more talented or interesting than these two. All of them either work 9-5s to feed themselves while making nothing off creative work, or chase gigs of a thousand different sorts around the country while couch surfing to make it work. None of them are doing nearly as well , or are as visible as these two. Despite working just as hard.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding. I live with people. I don’t want to be a hermit. I don’t want to go all unibomber and claim that I’m above it. Or worse, utilize systems like the Internet that are built around capitalistic ideas and then act as if I’m better than everyone else.

So you get it. I like to interact with people and I’m not comfortable with a neckbeard. You have a great day m’sir.

2 Likes

This seems like more of the half-joking about the deliberately shifting distinctions between social reality, and the world at large. What most here tell me is that I think social reality is an illusion. What I really think is that each person is responsible for social reality, that each person has a say in their liberation, oppression, systems, consensus, etc. Making social concepts sound objectively real is a lame way to discourage debate and alternative strategies - just like many “essential” and “evolutionary” perspectives on issues such as sex and race. If you go along with these tactics for universalizing social choices as being objectively real, you abdicate your voice. People here seem to “get it” when the issue at hand is identity politics, but somehow become blind to it when discussion moves to economics and finance, which are rationalized in the same exact ways.

You don’t think that people ever deliberately misunderstand or misrepresent the positions of others? When people don’t read what I actually say, and put words in my mouth, there isn’t much I can do about it.

I don’t think people do it consistently in the same way. If everyone misconstrues your message, your message was misconstructed.

6 Likes

What I “get” is that you seem more interested in trying to characterize me a certain way. You are deliberately misrepresenting my point, rather than refuting it - which is that social activity is participatory - if you don’t have a system, you don’t have a true (formally) social life - it’s not your world, you just work in it.

The choice is not to live either under an umbrella of totalitarian economics, or retreat from social life. That might be a false dichotomy, what if such an overarching system itself was antisocial? An ecology of several different ways to live is more robust, as has been demonstrated in the world at large.

No, people consistently refuse to consider what I actually say. People can only refute my opinions if they understand what they actually are. Arguments of “this is what I meant” versus “no you didn’t” seem asinine.

You seem to have a predilection for telling others they want to characterize you in a way that you are uncomfortable with, when others don’t seem to have done so in the first place. Would you like to talk about this? We may be able to help.

4 Likes

Does that GIF infer that you want a pony for Christmas?

3 Likes

Do tell

1 Like

I am not interested in whether or not I am comfortable, what I try to do is make communication accurate.

Sounds like a personal problem. Like I said, you chose to interpret what I said as being either a total social monolith, or solitude - despite my explanation that this was not the case. If YOU think it is, that’s your problem, but don’t implicate me in it.

This genius or savant-like status that you often claim gets tiresome, and derailing. It’s not that people here are so stupid they can’t understand what you’re saying. It’s that what you’re so often saying is entirely irrelevant or wildly tangential to the issue at hand.

At best, this comparison is specious, and insulting. I don’t think anyone here would argue with the point you make here, that money isn’t “real,” and that social arrangements on the basis of other methods of exchange are possible. That’s obvious. But it’s also irrelevant. And telling people they should think about money (or “economics and finance”) as just another social construction that they should try to free themselves from is a far fucking cry from telling people that they should stop abusing others on the basis of the socially constructed categories of race and gender.

18 Likes

Well, I just watched a few minutes of this PewDiePie kid for the first time and, I have to say, if that is what you do to become the most popular youtube star, I am not surprised.

3 Likes

Well put.

1 Like

First-world problems.

The problem seems to be that there are people producing content that are popular enough to be perceived as very successful when they aren’t, at all.

8 Likes

Are they “famous” or “mid-list” stars? I have never heard of them, but this is not my world anyway. It seems like they are working and making it. So, what exactly do they want? The whole world is a hustle and these folks seem to have the luxury of choosing their occupation. So

I sold out, too. If the huge multinational that I now work for finds out my political views I am most certainly fucked. I even deleted my Facebook account hoping that helps. Gotta feed the family and try to save for the future.

1 Like

It must be hard to be an artist.

Sorry, I call total shenanigans.

Disclaimer: my wife and I have a YouTube channel. 25k subscribers. Not all that exciting.

We pull in 600 in a typical month, 1000 in a good month in just pure ad revenue. We get roughly 1-2 sponsors a month usually asking for just sponsored tweets or Instagram pics - sometimes vlogs, which we only do if we really like the product - those get us maybe another $100 or $200.

And our revenue has been basically linear with our subscribers - if anything slightly exponential.

4 Likes

Fame is its own reward?

Reading the comments, I am getting so sick of the attitude that anyone who’s not actively curing cancer doesn’t have a right to complain about how hard it is to make a living. Who the fuck is allowed to dare expect money to live anymore? Much less gasp voice this expectation in the open.

When researchers, teachers and social workers are struggling along with people in the service industry, people in the manufacturing industry, etc, etc, can we really keep railing on everyone for making stupid career choices? Every single career choice aside from being a freaking CEO nowadays is a losing proposition.

While we’re busy blaming every little person behind a fast food counter, a desk or a camera for their ‘stupid’ career and inflated expectations (of paying bills on time), we’re not looking at the fact that this economy is syphoning most of the money and resources towards the top and away from the rest us, regardless of whether we’re curing cancer or making funny videos. No amount of snarking at the next working-poor sap trying to make a buck is fixing anything.

19 Likes