Famous YouTube stars are barely scraping by

Compounded by the fact that some folks perceive popularity as equaling success which closes off some avenues for compensation before they’ve been fully explored.

2 Likes

So, 340k subs is 13.6x where you are at. By your numbers, your low end is 600 + 100 per month, and 700 x 13.6 = 9,520 a month. Do you honestly think they are making at least that?

Btw awesome on what you’re doing. Wish I knew more about that world.

To make a living I will shortly be moving a thousand miles away. I am leaving all my family, all my friends save one, I am leaving/imploding every artisitic venture I am involved in, and taking a pay cut.

I am not curing cancer. Far from it. But as a former starving artist–who knows, hangs out with, pays to see, etc.–we understand paying dues. And we understand that most of us just won’t cut it. I certainly didn’t cut it in the creative world.

You don’t have to be a CEO to make a good living. But (the metaphorical) you at some point has to be realistic about what your value is, and where that value is. It is rough, and frequently causes ulcers (hey, I’m a couple weeks out of the ER! :D)

##I am not critiquing you personally, just talking

4 Likes

That chasm between Famous and Internet Famous.

right there with ya! and worrying “will i get fired THIS month” as the corporation needs to cut jobs and raise profits. every month? does not help.

yeah, where is my jetpack, red carpet, flyng car, and wife at door in apron with martini?

We got screwed? but we keep our nose to the stone, and work every damn day.

2 Likes

This. [quote=“japhroaig, post:63, topic:70681”]
we understand that most of us just won’t cut it. I certainly didn’t in the creative world.

You don’t have to be a CEO to make a good living.
[/quote]

This. So much.

I’ve lived and worked in and around (notional) ‘Hollywood’ for more than a third of a century, and it’s always been like this. It may be New Media, but it’s still the same old process…

Many come. Few are chosen. Fortune favors the lucky.

Welcome to Hollywood. (-:

3 Likes

It’s a tough biz. I have a friend that, after (god has it been that long?) 12 years is throwing in the towel from trying to be a pro standup comic, moving away from Griffith Park, and is now pursuing what he does best–brewing mead and being a father. And he is a dayum funny guy.

Another friend found decent success… After she spent a decade singing jazz standards in Asia. Now she teaches and has a tiny apt. in LA (last I heard).

Another friend has been on the front page of most music rags in the NW. He still has to couch surf, and not because he is bad with money.

Another set of friends won SXSW a million years ago. All bartenders last I checked.

And guess who is the main bartender for my local watering hole?

(Nicest guy you could ever meet)

7 Likes

Ya know, just a hunch, but living on one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. jusssst might have something to do with their financial woes.

1 Like

It’s hard to make a living as an artist, but if you can swallow your pride, it becomes very possible to make a good living doing almost what you wanted.

Only one kid in a million grows up to be a rock star, but a whole lot of people grow up to be music teachers, recording engineers, producers, choreographers, stage managers, lighting technicians, backup and session players, track doctors, or make their living scoring TV, small films, and writing jingles.

I know plenty of people who make a solid living as musicians- most aren’t playing stadiums, but teaching guitar lessons during the afternoon, playing in a cover band on weekends, and spending the rest of the time recording background music for licensing, can earn someone a pretty okay income doing something they love doing.

3 Likes

Roger That!

Are you, perhaps, in this case, one of those people? Because she had you dead to rights.

4 Likes

I don’t think you are one to lecture others about it. That’s different.

I am not claiming any “status”, that makes it a personal matter, and misses the point. What processes yield clear communications seems to have little to do with personalities.

If so, then people could say so, rather than play annoying games. If instead they insist upon “Oh, you meant THIS”, “Oh, you meant THAT”, then I feel an obligation to clarify a remark I made, wasting too much verbiage. If people are mature enough to agree to disagree, they can do that without being snarky and disingenuous.

But no, what I said here I think is central to the issue, despite being an apparently unpopular perspective.

I find it specious and insulting as well, but apparently for quite different reasons.

Why do you think so? The underlying mechanism is basically the same - the assumption that some people, their lives, their work, etc are somehow worth more or less than others. What they look like or what chromosomes they have are not the real social problems, and they never have been. They are merely symptomatic of a certain antisocial way of interpreting social relationships. It is not fundamentally a problem of categories, those are arbitrary, it is a matter of process - what people actually do. Opposing racism, sexism, and other forms of slavery seems “obvious” to those who know better, yet I don’t encounter many people fussing constantly that raising awareness of those is insulting or irrelevant. They are irrational fictions about people which are perpetuated for the purposes of exploiting people, and money is often the technology people use to make this happen.

The first baby steps towards improving the situation I think is for people to know that exploitation is not inevitable. It can be changed. It is a sum of many choices made by people. Social structures are established by people, they don’t appear from nowhere. Where people seem to lose their cool is not dropping out, but rather, dropping in. Establishing new social structures can be necessary, but it is extremely risky. It is made risky by those who choose to perpetuate their status quo. People do not free themselves by avoiding social structures, but by using them, making them. It is only “irrelevant” for those resolved to inaction.

Okay. Sure. Not to sound flippant, but I tried to answer your question and you seem to want none of it.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering it, anyway. What you said does sound like a more probable scenario, but from my experience, seems to work differently. A fundamental of sound rhetoric I think is that one’s critique be based upon the actual words as presented literally. Not to assume that they meant something else. I am aware that all language involves making assumptions of meaning, by necessity, so there are limits to what extent any interpretation can be said to be purely literal, with innate meaning. But it seems odd to me that I carefully choose my phrasing for minimum ambiguity, yet people tell me that I am somehow far less clear in my meanings than others. It has become extremely difficult for me to assume good faith.

Not to mention, they release two videos per week and one of them is a QA session, the other is a small skit. If they’ve got their workflow down, they probably can do both in 3 days. Honestly, it sounds like they have a part time job that they’re trying to live off of as if it were a full time job.

Compare that to LinusTechTips (which, admittedly, has 4x as many subscribers). They produce daily video on several channels, put a lot more work into their videos, and are able to provide full time work for a team of close to 10 people. Certainly they have commercial sponsors but I think the important takeaway is that channels like LTT have a much higher amount of valued added that a channel like Just Between Us and it shows in the amount of income they can generate.

3 Likes

And I get a sense that you really do put a lot of yourself (I mean this in a good way!) into your posts. I appreciate that earnestness, I really do. To me, though, communication is inherently relational, both interpersonally and culturally, and as such, is a process of mutual understanding. By this definition, the notion of ‘accuracy’ cannot be attributed unilaterally. Again, this is not an argument, just my perception of the nature of communication.

3 Likes

Just wait a few hours, it will turn black.

4 Likes

[quote=“L_Mariachi, post:78, topic:70681”]
Just wait a few hours, it will turn black.
[/quote] @popobawa4u can melt steel beams.

2 Likes

Absolutely. She’s no different to any band, author, actor who is scraping by on the margins of fame.

1 Like