Fancy "ambient light" projector creates illusion of window overlooking trees

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/24/fancy-ambient-light-projec.html

1 Like

The image projected by REVEAL is unique and cannot be recreated by any other device

Uh, it’s a light with a fancy gobo. Challenge accepted.

13 Likes

What, no occasional silhouette of a stalker peering in, or a body falling past the window? Boring. /s

9 Likes

Maybe he has copyright on that particular image and will sue you if you try to copy it.

1 Like

In other words, a slide projector that can project several slides at once?
Like the clunky monster way back when at school?

2 Likes

Yeah, this is making me want to build my own.

3 Likes

ummmm, why not just spend $400 on a full color LED projector and stream any damn content you want? A Yellowstone meadow, np. Panorama of the moon or Mars? You bet! A fish tank, yup. Starry sky? okelly dokely! Or maybe you want paintings or artwork? Sure! Want to have an outdoor theater, LED projector got you covered.

Sounds like these slides allow air to pass over a thicker ‘slide’ that has slightly moveable elements? Dust and stuff will get in there and the illusion will be ruined. It’s a fancy gobo.

4 Likes

It seems the creator might be pricing this out of reach of those who might be its greatest potential market - gloomy-apartment dwellers everywhere.

(edit to remove offensively misplaced apostrophe.)

1 Like

Hey, that’s me!

The bedroom in my apt is windowless. Which is nice when I want to sleep in or nap mid day. My solution for the lack of light when not sleeping is two nice bedside reading lights, plus 4 additional soft lights around the room that give a very nice ambient glow, and 2 mini disco balls when things need to get festive.

ETA: And yes, I would have considered a product like this if it was more affordable.

1 Like

Excellent idea, and can even be had for $100 or so… I’ve been picking up old Dell 3400MP projectors off ebay in the $100 range, even a bit less with some patience. Easily found lightly used, and replacement bulbs are like $20. True 3000 lumens, bright as hell. This is off my roof:

4 Likes

If it could be made so the trees sway in the breeze, it’d be a winner.

1 Like

There is a whole fake-natural-light industry, and not just for Halloween toys

2 Likes

another product from a different company

2 Likes

2e420b266e182e9dd1bcfe646b6d85dc

2 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

tumblr_mvz46j3Ioz1rrxe89o8_250

2 Likes

Yes!!! For the win! That’s so awesome.

We once did Trailer Park Boys onto a trailer:

1 Like

my abode has too few windows. I want one of these, but my cats will not want one standing upright.

1 Like

ezgif.com-optimize