Fantastic tabletop Battle of Hoth

When Lucas released the special editions, I was hoping we’d see troops disembark from the walkers, but we didn’t. Instead, in the prequels we have landing Star Destroyers, which just seems dumb.

Rogue One is supposed to be a war story, which could be interesting.

You can only win the no-prize if you can think up a reasonable in-universe reason for why the ‘mistake’ you’ve spotted isn’t actually a mistake.

[link to no-prize on wikipedia]

But would a war story be “Star Wars”? Here’s another clip showing the influences of Dambusters on the X-Wing scene. And the Millennium Falcon escape from the Death Star was also heavily influenced by B-17 bomber movies like 12 O’Clock High. I’m not saying that any sort of plagiarizing was taking place, just that Lucas used the language of WWII aviation movies in his own action scenes. Star Wars is supposed to be pulpy and familiar. It isn’t science fiction world-building, and it isn’t Star Trek allegory. It’s knights and princesses and black hats and all the things Lucas liked as a kid in a movie theatre.

I guess my point is that I’m thinking too hard about this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.