Fascinating introduction to kung fu movies

Agree and yet somehow we watched the whole thing. Not sure what happened there.

1 Like

Oh, I gave up after 20, 30 minutes. I feel like I have to look for the other Mr. Chow’s movies. He’s not as popular here as Jackie Chan, whose movies are easier to find.

I also like Mr. Chan’s old movies.

4 Likes

Want to know what I think is a bad movie?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s bad. The rolling baby and “THAT’S A LOT OF NUTS!” really crack me up.

2 Likes

This is the opening to North Korea’s first martial arts film, Hong Kil Dong (1986).

I haven’t seen the film all the way through, but the theme music is pretty cool.
4 Likes

I kinda liked it.

My favorite is King of beggars, that movie is hilarious.

2 Likes

You got me searching Steve Oedekerk’s writing - what an odd range: from Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and Nothing To Lose, through to Patch Adams.

On the other hand want to know what I think is a great low budget short film?

6 Likes

yeah, but so bad, it’s kinda good.

2 Likes

My original introduction to Jackie Chan:

Or it might have been Joe Bob Goes to the Drive-In, hard to say…

2 Likes

“Boards don’t hit back.”

Another cool guy is Jet Li.

https://youtu.be/MdcuaeYV9oM

2 Likes

I adore that film, and regularly argue with fools who disagree with me on it’s merits. They are wrong! WRONG!

1 Like

And It could be a superhero movie with all that powerful (oddball) characters. They even have to face an almost almight archvillain.

But I really enjoy the ending and all the Buddhist references scattered around the movie.

Oh, I am talking about Kung Fu Hustle.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up Jet Li. I loved the Once Upon a Time in China movies for the fighting, but felt he went a bit astray when he went to Hollywood.

3 Likes

I read he is sick, but He and his agent say his health is OK.

1 Like

Michelle Yeoh is cool too. And she went to space too.

5 Likes

The film I like to show people new to the genre is Fong Sai Yuk. It’s got everything great about HK cinema: incredible fight choreography, comedy, melodrama, romance, mistaken identities, cross-dressing, secret sects and heroic battles of honor, plus Josephine Saio as Jet Li’s kick ass mom. The contest where they can’t set foot on the ground is too cool to spoiler here, it must be seen to be believed. Unfortunately, in addition to raping actresses Harvey Weinstein also raped a ton of great HK movies, so you have to seek out the uncut import version.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Thais make good martial movies too

1 Like

Re- Stephen Chow: He’s in tons of funny movies (the Fight Back To School series is a hoot) but it’s the films that he also wrote and directed that make him a comedy god: From Beijing With Love, Forbidden City Cop, God Of Cookery, King of Comedy, Shaolin Soccer, and Kung Fu Hustle. The dude is a genius on par with Charlie Chaplin imo

1 Like