Fascinating video about comic book inker, Vince Colletta, the man some claim ruined Jack Kirby's art

Isn’t being 'splained down to about your own field of expertise just the best?

5 Likes

It was Colletta’s and Giordano’s romance art that Lichtenstein appropriated, not Romita’s

David Barsalou has fairly painstakingly documented and attributed many of the panels (and other things) Lichtenstein cribbed (and taken a run at some other artists as well). Romita appears to have been a favorite. Along with Tony Abruzzo, Joe Kubert, and many, many others. Including Kirby. I know Giordano appears in the list, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Colletta’s in there somewhere. But Romita, Kubert, Abruzzo and a few other seem to appear a lot, with a lot less alteration.

1 Like

Tony Abruzzo, John Romita, Ted Galindo, Mike Sekowsky, and Joe Kubert were Ripped-Off the most by Lichtenstein.

1 Like

Here’s All The Evidence Of Lichtenstein’s Theft

Deconstructing Roy Lichtenstein™ © 2000

Imgur

The thing I’m always surprised by is that he mostly seems to have lifted from the really good artists, many of whom were pretty well regarded and known even at the time.

Thanks for stopping by. That’s a much clearer link than the one Google dragged up for me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.