Talking Jack Kirby: The Epic Life of the King of Comics with Visionary Comic Book Creator Tom Scioli

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/10/talking-jack-kirby-the-epic-l.html

1 Like
5 Likes

That’s all well and all, but why did he have to draw “The King” as a Keane painting?

1 Like

never heard of him. Canadian eh?

1 Like

What movie was that? Maybe I need to see it.

They’re right too. I’m a huge Moebius fan, but what he was good at was doing Moebius.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a reference to the ancient art style (Byzantine maybe? Can’t remember) of portraying kings with unnaturally large eyes to show they were touched by the presence of God? He is “King” Kirby, after all! I guess only Scioli would know.

1 Like

Crimson Tide. A fun thriller about the fight between the Captain and the XO on a SSBM when the launch orders are ambiguous. Gene Hackman as the Captain, Denzel as the XO, and a bunch of other cool actors.

2 Likes

My first taste of Jack Kirby’s work was before I started picking up comics, Thundarr the Barbarian.

2 Likes

Ookla the Mok!

1 Like

So badass he couldn’t fit on a normal horse!

3 Likes

People mention Jack Kirby and I think of lantern jaws, with rows of lower-jaw teeth. Yes, Kirby was prolific, but I prefer the work of Steve Ditko.

2 Likes

I recently read Kirby: King of Comics by Kirby’s former assistant Mark Evanier; the highlight of the book was an oversized reprint of Street Code, an autobiographical comic Kirby drew late in life. It’s only ten pages long (and two of those pages make up a breathtaking spread of 1920s Brooklyn; Jack’s wife Roz hung the original art on their wall), and ends pretty abruptly. Evanier indicates that there were tentative plans for Kirby to do more, but he never did; he was having trouble with his heart and his vision by then.

A biography by Scioli is the closest thing we’re ever going to get to that Kirby autobiography – and I see Scioli’s even taking a cue from Street Code in not inking his pencils (though Scioli’s comic is in color; Street Code is just pencils, no inks, no colors). I love Scioli’s work and he’s the guy to do it; I saw some of the Kirby biography over on his American Barbarian website awhile back but didn’t realize it was being released in print this year. If not for COVID-19, I’d have had the Free Comic Book Day preview issue in my hands by now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.