Was Jack Kirby's Demon inspired by Prince Valiant?

Originally published at: Was Jack Kirby's Demon inspired by Prince Valiant? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I was once inspired by a Plymouth Valiant…

8 Likes

In honor of Jack Kirby’s creation, must our response rhyme?
Although most would consider it a waste of time.

7 Likes

I adore Etrigan the Demon, it’s a crime that Alan Grant’s early 90s stint writing it has never been reprinted.

1 Like

That is a lot of ugly for one car.

2 Likes

Jolie laide. Cream is so underrated in cars. Pure white is a dick colour.

1 Like

Yes it was.

You try finding rhymes for Etrigan, it could drive you mad, not everyone can.

3 Likes

Same here. The artwork was interesting, but with the cast of characters, and long stories played out a week at a time, it was hard to find a starting point to dive in.

3 Likes

Wait -what? He cribbed the design? Was this old news and I am just now hearing it??

I too did not read Prince Valiant. But I didn’t read any serialized strip, as I only got the Sunday paper, so I missed out on the 6 other days.

I did look at the pictures and liked the whole knights stuff.

My friend is the grand nephew of Hal Foster, I believe.

2 Likes

Prince Valiant should sue Kirby for lots of gold
Or else he won’t create, at least that’s what I’m told
Don’t say it’s “inspired by,” you just make me gag
Here, enjoy this random </sarcasm>

Edited to find how to force the end text… the answer was backticks, so on to the next.

2 Likes

Probably coming too late for anyone to read this, but for the record: Jack openly acknowledged having based The Demon’s look on Foster’s design. This is from Richard Kolkman’s article in Kirby Collector #13, drawing on information from Steve Sherman:

Jack drew the inspiration for his final demon concept from Hal Foster’s Prince Valiant. While researching architecture and costuming for King Arthur’s era, Jack came across the sequence from December 25, 1937. Val drives an ogre and his henchmen from a castle by donning a gruesome mask fashioned from a dead goose, the webbed feet becoming the classic Demon ears. Jack thought it would be funny to tie his mythos of King Arthur, Mordred, and Merlin into Prince Valiant. According to Steve Sherman, “after the New Gods cancellation, Jack didn’t take these things as seriously as before[…]with Kamandi and The Demon, he was having fun.

Throughout Kirby’s career his creations were shaped and influenced by the movies and comics that had inspired him as a kid of the 1930s.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.