Fashion student simulates couture collection made from Alexander McQueen's cloned skin

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/18/fashion-student-simulates-cout.html

2 Likes

Do the clothes need “sunscreen” when you wear them outdoors?

2 Likes

Does it come with pants?

3 Likes

Ah, but how about clothes made of simulated Steve McQueen? She could call it the Even Greater Escape line.

5 Likes

Or how about clothes made out of simulated Lightning McQueen skin?

Sure, they’d be heavy, but they’d be stylish, easy-to-clean, and offer incredible protection from the elements.

3 Likes

Okay…

Am I the only person squicked out by the idea of wearing another human’s skin, regardless whether it was from cloned material or not?

``

4 Likes

I have to imagine the yuck factor is part of the point. They meant to raise issues around patenting human genomes. They did something sure to make headlines to do so. I think maybe they actually wanted us to think, “God, this is so wrong” to enchance their point.

3 Likes

That’s a fair point, but I have to wonder about this possibly creating a Streisand Effect?

No, you’re not. Even the idea of a lampshade is creepy, moreover in view of these other historical stories - true or not - this project is remarkably tone-deaf.

1 Like

Skin lampshades are a total Godwin; Hitler’s were the first thing I thought of upon opening this post.

Breaking News:

Art Student Ironically References Other Art Student

2 Likes

Every phase of this vaporware non-project is nonsense and lies, starting from the premise: you can’t get DNA, let alone pluripotent stem cells, from a clipped lock of someone’s hair, only from hair that was pulled from the scalp with the root intact.

1 Like

Yes?

If it makes you feel better there’s a thin layer of other people’s skins all over pretty much everything around you…

3 Likes

Not sure I should trust a source called “disinformation”.

1 Like

Hey! Ed Gein wasn’t a Nazi. (Instead, he was a quiet man who kept to himself) You take that back!

1 Like

Old sloughed off skin particles amid all the dust; yeah, I am aware, thanks, but I’m not a neat freak, or a germophobe.

The difference being:

A) That’s kind of inevitable unless one plans on living like bubble-boy.

B) Tiny microscopic particles from everyone’s skin is not the same as a bunch of particles from one person being made into an entire garment.

Also:

*lolz

You’re right; he was even worse, because he didn’t even have the lame excuse “I was just following orders.”

1 Like

Possibly was; ever been to Plainfield?

Gein was still alive and incarcerated in Madison when I lived there. He was the inspiration for a local form of bad taste joke, called a “Geiner,” some of which unfortunately have come back to me thanks to this story. I won’t share any of them with you, but I suspect if you google “Farmer Fannies” you’ll find some.

1 Like

How about a windowshade?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.