PETA launches "human" leather goods store that seems right out of a horror movie

Originally published at: PETA launches "human" leather goods store that seems right out of a horror movie | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Let’s not give Jeff Bezos any ideas…

3 Likes

I seen several people think those shoes looked cool on twitter yesterday

7 Likes

Come On Reaction GIF

15 Likes

Whether PETA has a point or not, these shock tactics turn their arguments into pure sensationalism. Now America dismisses them as “wacky leftists” instead of taking them seriously. (Compare with Greenpeace.)

11 Likes

I mean, I see what they’re trying to do there but this is not at all how leather works. We’re not making jackets out of pig faces either after all. And obviously all the gore they’re showing wouldn’t show up on a finished product. That’s the whole point of the tanning process.

Human leather doesn’t look any different than any other leather. That is why we have so much difficulty with authenticating the few human leather artefacts we have (almost entirely books from the 17th to 19th centuries). When the mass spectrometry ZooMS method became affordable we found out that even most of those were fake, which goes to show it’s visually impossible to distinguish human leather from animal leather.

18 Likes

Those boots look pretty cool.

3 Likes

Baldur’s Gate 2 already did this, it was a piece of armor you could get:

6 Likes

IRL and please note, not for the squeamish, this museum in Japan:

8 Likes

Yeah, but they massively increase your risk for foot and mouth disease.

7 Likes

Like: The horror infused, Cronenberg meets Ed Gein designs.

Dislike: PETA’s hyperbolic messaging and treatment of animals in the shelters they run.

6 Likes

#DontThreatenMeWithAGoodTime

1 Like

All animals die. Even in nature most deaths are unpleasant. A bovid left to its own devices will eventually be eaten by predators or succumb to injury or disease. Most humans aren’t that disturbed by the idea of making use of an animal’s corpse.

So PETA really needs to knock it off with the meat and leather are formerly living breathing animals!! bit if they want to change minds: we know that and most people can make peace with it.

PETA’s best chance of getting wider support for their platform is to drop the “animals are dying!!” angle and instead keep the focus on the “look at the horrific conditions our animals are being forced to live in!” angle.

22 Likes

This is BS, you can’t add anything to the shopping cart.

10 Likes
3 Likes

I’m a person for the ehical treatment of animals, and I can’t imagine supporting peta.

I do animal research, something which should be tightly regulated with concern for the animals’ welfare. But every time I’ve heard peta chime in on animal research it has been ignorant and unhelpful.

They’ve had multiple protests at a primate center I once worked at, always shouting about things that weren’t done there while ignoring awful* things that really were done; then they released secret footage of “chimps” being abused at the facility that was actually a video of a vet tech trying to get a rhesus monkey in a cage. Personally, I think they’re consistently misinforming people is worse than doing nothing

*the facility tested mustard gas on monkeys; and not a word from peta about that

18 Likes

They should have spent more effort on their design. The description blurbs make it seem like each item is made out of a single person, but some of them have multiple noses/etc. Lazy.

9 Likes

See also, burgers made from yourself:

Although as someone remarked online, what’s the chances that this will lead to a thriving black market in celebrities’ DNA?

3 Likes

Do we really need to give PETA free marketing? Seriously?