Fast times at Roosevelt Field Mall, a documentary (1983)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/fast-times-at-roosevelt-field.html

3 Likes

Wait until they find out what’s going on beneath the mall.

4 Likes

This is a really impressive documentary. The guys fit in so well with their subjects it’s a great casual conversation. No one acts weird for the camera or worries about it much.

2 Likes

That is actually addressed…turns out there’s a dentist and an eye doctor in the basement level!

2 Likes

Ooh, the shag hair cuts, the exuberance, the memories!

1 Like

2 Likes

Transportation by Dave’s mom’s car.

(chuckle)

That’s a great little time capsule. The clothes,the hair, the huge percentage of people smoking indoors, the Kraftwerk-alike intro music. All served with a side of some perfect Lawn Guyland accents.

And while the death of the mall has been much hyped, I’m pretty sure it has a long way to go yet. The US has six times as much detail space per capita than Europe or Japan, and twice as much as Canada, it’s nearest rival. For all the dead mall tags, there are still plenty of these places left.

2 Likes

I can smell the cigarettes, caramel corn and stale fountain water just like it were ‘83. There are whole genres of stores that don’t exist now that malls are gone. I’m glad my kids can skip that awkward stage of adolescence characterized by mall courtship ritual.

3 Likes

I was aware of the mall culture in Vermont but we lived miles away in a small town. We made friends in school and drank cheap beer in fields.

I’m super grateful I didn’t grow up in suburbia hell. Matching Members Only jackets, flip haircuts, polo shirts, headbands. And all entirely confused by why it might not be ideal to conform, match, copy, comply.

That being said, laugh allllll you like.

2 Likes

It was my place, but not my time. I was about 5 years younger than these people. The hair got even worse by then!

This was before a couple of shootings drove most of the white people from the other Long Island mall, Green Acres, on the south shore. Also a few years before the Roosevelt Raceway closed down and became spread out retail space.

1 Like

I lived it… but it shocks me now to see a large group of people holding their heads up at 90 degrees rather than down 45 degrees.

2 Likes

Dave’s mom was HOT.

Also, due to the volume of people I can smell perfumes, and oddly, cloth. Sort of a coat room scent. Maybe there were just a lot more natural fabrics then. Even the stroller in the beginning was made of
cloth. And what’s that “WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA-woo-woo-woo-woo-bink-bink” sound booming from the arcade?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.