FBI has been harassing a Tor developer since 2015, won't tell her or her lawyer why

I saved out her blog page as PDF (she had a link to that at the bottom) and I can give that if anyone wants it. Surely her site is getting a ton of traffic.

ETA: Here it is. WARNING: I can’t vouch for the contents of the PDF. All I did was download it from her site then upload it here. It seems to render like a proper PDF in Firefox. It looks like the blog post looked.

http://tekna.dreamhosters.com/blog.patterns-in-the-void-2016-04-30.pdf (5MB)

3 Likes

That is not how I expected an FBI business card to look. That script font for his name? People stopped using those for a reason: they’re hard to read. The whole thing looks amateurish and messy.

If I’d received a business card that looked like that, I would have assumed it was fake – as opposed to a government standard.

1 Like

So this guy left her notes to please call him and he wanted to talk to her in a quiet place without witnesses, man sounds like one of those FBI creeps or something.

1 Like

While they hold you and refuse (implicitly) to let you use a bathroom and badger you verbally?

4 Likes

They were up two hours ago.

1 Like

You just gotta be willing to shit yourself and then puke all over the interview table from the smell of it to prove a point.

4 Likes

I’m so glad I pay my taxes… just look at the wonderful services provided.

2 Likes

As of the date below, I have never received any:

22 Feb 2016

Uh oh.

2 Likes

I don’t like living in a dystopian techno-thriller.

5 Likes

Because [anecdote]? With the advent of the internet, have we really suffered a rash of firings due to employer concern about “things you say on the internet”?

I’ve been threatened with it. I know quite a few people who have had folks try to contact their work to get them fired or had work find out about something they said on a blog post or on twitter and then called them into a meeting to tell them to shut up or else…

4 Likes

Oh I get regular training from my paycheck provider and from who I contract to about what not to post to social media (mostly don’t talk about work but there is an undertone of don’t make us look bad). If it didn’t happen we wouldn’t get training on DON’T DO THIS.

6 Likes

Her warranty canary is on a 6 month aging process. According to her schedule, the next update would be in late August.

In cases like this (where it’s clear she’s a person of interest to law enforcement organizations) I would prefer if people would set narrower canaries (1 or 2 months) so that we can attempt to narrow down when the canary killing event occurred.

But the FBI clearly doesn’t have her individual freedoms at interest. I think cutting off all communications except through her lawyer is the best response and to file every violation of Miranda rights in Podunk Mississippi federal district court. FBI wants to make her travel rights difficult, the public should make the FBI agents prusuing this “investigation” on guard for being jailed for bench warrants in every federal district court.

3 Likes

We need an app for that.

2 Likes

I’ve worked with [counts on fingers] at least three people who have had to take down Facebook posts or face discipline/position review. In every case it wasn’t because they’d said anything directly about the company – it was because they said where they worked in their profile and also posted photos/comments about how drunk they’d got the previous weekend.

All of them were salespeople, so very client-focused, “face of the company” types.

2 Likes

The void left in the absence of the law is filled with violence. For an agency that is ostensibly charged with a duty to combat crime, it is working very hard to undermine the role of law in civil society. People need to be able to trust their lawyers and the courts for the justice system to function. Not for it to be fair, but for it to function. Otherwise, why go to the courts for anything at all? Why leave anything up to the justice system?

Undermining trust in government is only going to hurt the FBI long-term.

1 Like

I’m curious if any of them had the language, “comments here are mine alone”, or similar verbiage in the profile info. I think it bothers me as it’s just another bit of legalese creeping into our lives that, as far as I understand, does nothing to help if it’s there in the first place.

All that said, the FBI appears to be doing their best to become the heel of the U.S. Government…I suppose the NSA will have to send them the trophy or something.

2 Likes

The constitution does not address “talking.”

Have you read the constitution? It rather does.

1 Like

I’m not in the habit of expressing opinions on things about which I know nothing. I am also open to re-examining my opinions. I’d be pleased to see what you are talking about.

contrasts with the earlier:

I have to disagree with both of these assertions of yours.

Go read the constitution maybe, I’d say you don’t know as much as you think you do, about it.

2 Likes