FBI's crypto backdoor plans require them to win the war on general purpose computing

The silliest part of all is that bad guys have been using slang and in-jokes for centuries. That’s cryptography, and it’s also impossible to ban.

Also, if the message is short, even an extremely simple cypher is unbreakable. If the NSA has a voice conversation, that’s a ton of data there, but if you can issue orders to your minions in 140 characters, there’s simply not enough information to begin cracking.

4 Likes

one time-use pads , slang or code words , obscure languages , dead drops on social media and blogs ,etc , etc, " hide in plain sight " ; i do not need to hide forever , i only need to stay secret untill the time for action has passed ~
also , please say hello to your significant other
51728 ab7f9 2198e b1247 902ou
repeating
please say hello to your significant other
51728 ab7f9 2198e b1247 902ou
thank you and good luck !!
the penguin on top of your television will self destruct in 10 , 9 . . .

3 Likes
3 Likes

Encryption with a back door is no longer encryption. You don’t even need to try and crack it, you just exploit the back door itself. Or get the password from the FBI. I hear people are willing to give out their passwords for a bar of chocolate.

It’s really a moot point anyway since it couldn’t be implemented. And any laws that would be required to do it would be so unconstitutional they wouldn’t even get into committee.

1 Like

“abolishing the whole idea of computers”

is their preferred solution.

1 Like

And I thought it was Toysaurus…

1 Like

My point exactly.

In Soviet Russia, Toys ‘Я’ U.

5 Likes

Exactly.

Someone needs to remind the government side on this that although they have always been able to request and receive the authority to open your paper mail and view your paper mail, they never had the right to insist that you make it readable.

If Cory sends QOVOWKNAG to someone in a letter, you’re not going to be able to read it just because you intercepted the physical letter and steamed open the seal.

2 Likes

I certainly hope this article is correct in that backdooring crypto is pretty much impossible now. People shouldn’t have to worry about using the Web with Uncle Sam reading over their shoulder.

It is even worse. You can do modern (symmetric) crypto on very small devices, like an Arduino. Of course that will be slow, but for example for text-email, this should still be fast enough. So they would need to ban small microcontrollers. There are literally billions of them out there already.

3 Likes

You can do even asymmetric crypto. Granted, a computation of one 1024bit RSA transaction takes almost 13 seconds (8.5 if helped with assembly) on a 16MHz 8bit ATmega-class Atmel AVR, but you need that just once per transaction, the rest is symmetric cipher. (The usual modus operandi of these things is generating a random number, using it as a symmetric key, encrypting the message, then encrypting the key with asymmetric cipher and attaching it to the message. Nifty.)
http://evothings.com/is-it-possible-to-secure-micro-controllers-used-within-iot/

And there are FPGA chips that are tiny and cheap and can serve as crypto coprocessors, too.

2 Likes

Just update FIPS 140-2 to only allow ROT13 and be done with it

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.