FDA relaxes food labeling regulations for pandemic

So much depends on the definition of “minor change,” and given this administration’s track record that probably means interpreting it as broadly as possible. I’m imagining a food manufacturer changing the ingredient label now… :thinking:

Contains: soy lecithinlent

14 Likes

How often do the certification bodies inspect?

1 Like

This is a fun game of how much sawdust can we put in a product before it affects sales.

12 Likes

Every time 45 starts talking about kids and summer camp or daycare, I cringe at what he might suggest for “fun activities” that would keep them “busy and productive” while their parents get back to work. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Why, after only living in the Kingdom for two years, does that look a bit strange to me?

1 Like

Way cool , I’m going to take this opportunity to launch a line of processed food products that conveniently won’t have soylent greens listed as an ingredient!

5 Likes

I’m also wary of both regular and organic ingredients. Regular vegetables and fruits may have glyphosates or other herbicides or pesticides on them, or pathogens, and organic food might have it due to overspray or was contaminated in some way during harvest, handling, packaging, shipping, etc. I don’t go crazy about this, obsessing over it. I wash my food before I cook it and carry on. But I know a few people that are eaten alive by this worry. 1000 years from now, future humans, or whatever we are by then, will look back in pity at our ignorance and resistance to seeking a full understanding of the ecosystem upon which we all depend.

5 Likes

I, for one, enjoy my Soylent Green burgers.

Beyond meat, indeed!

Since they’re private bodies contracting to license their trademarks I’m sure that it’s part of the contractual terms but I have no clue as to the details. Besides which there’s no reason that the various ones (there are several) would all be the same anyway.

3 Likes

or maybe 1000 years and a bit from now the rich will adopt this enlightened outlook while the majority of us get bread into a different species of workers and pets that don’t question their food.

3 Likes

I know some of you are worried, but Mitch McConnell will make sure this doesn’t harm any big food producers.

12 Likes

Yeah, one of my son’s elementary school friends has the really severe full anaphylactic shock reaction to peanuts or anything made from them. Someone like her could easily have a fatal reaction even to refined peanut oil.

6 Likes

Yup. The example listed upthread (sunflower oil → canola oil) could be an issue for me at times, although it wouldn’t actually be dangerous.

What I would like to see is something like a sticker that says “Changes made” and a URL–the URL must have the correct list, although it could be a list of lot A-D contains sunflower oil, F-G contains canola oil and E and H contain safflower oil. Rapid changes to packaging can be a problem, but websites are easy to change quickly.

5 Likes

Every time and for every thing the T administration does anything, you always have to be thinking: is this just an excuse for a power grab by cynical, corporatist, racist, authoritarian assholes? And the answer is invariably either: 1) Yes; or, 2) Oh hell yes.

9 Likes

Because it was removed?

I have no idea if anyone is allergic to canola.

This. I had a coworker who had a life threatening allergic reaction to an undisclosed inactive ingredient in a Benadryl. Her allergy was to an obscure binder used in pills, and many foods with any added vitamins, so no enriched flour for example.

8 Likes

It’s not a stretch for me to imagine the problems of changing the packaging every time there’s a shift in the supply chain. But for pete’s sake, there is no reason they couldn’t maintain a web page with the true and accurate ingredients, just input the “sell by” date and batch code right here.

Dropping all labeling requirements entirely, looks like a big wide gaping invitation for abuse. You know they’ll do whatever they can get away with.

8 Likes

After watching Minority Report, I started keeping the liquid on hand. Finding out you are allergic to something most people take to counter an allergic reaction had to be terrible. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

When they start choking you’ll know.

3 Likes

Well, they could be lying, ya know… faking their throat swelling shut? Ya know… for attention and all. As you do… /s

:woman_facepalming:

5 Likes