Mississippi makes it a jailable offense to call plant-based or cultured-meat patties "burgers"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/07/heme-ahem.html

4 Likes

Jailable? Don’t they have more important things to work on?

43 Likes

Obvious, but there is nothing in the word ‘burger’ or even ‘hamburger’ [or even ‘hamberder’] that denotes, connotes, or even implies ‘meat.’

Fuck this politicization, hijacking and nullification of language.

59 Likes

Crackers! Oh…Hold on - CREAM crackers aren’t made from cream. Ban 'em!

Brussel sprouts aren’t from Brussels, either.

21 Likes

What about Turkey bacon, the most egregious lie in the food aisles.

Also, just use clever spelling like they do for everything else. In fact I am surprised no one has called stuff Mylk yet. Or Boiger (boygers?)

“Want a boiger?”

“Soitently.”

35 Likes

“Soylently?”

Me I’d love me some soylent burgers, just sayin

26 Likes

Brilliant! You and me, man - start up an ad agency and take over the world! (Of advertising.)

2 Likes

Just more devalue signaling.

12 Likes

It’s not from Turkey.

51 Likes

Baked Alaska?

Nope - that’s just the weather report.

56 Likes

Yeah but it does imply that you are eating German citizens…

21 Likes

The ham part

5 Likes

“Food producers will not have to compete with other food producers! And never mind all that braying we usually do about the need for a free market unencumbered by gubmint regulations.

50 Likes

It’s not bacon!

Look, we can joke around about all kinds of stuff, but bacon is serious business. Joking is not appropriate.

7 Likes

This thread isn’t about bacon.

12 Likes

Mississippi ranks 44th in fiscal stability, 46th in education, 48th in economy, 45th in infrastructure, and last in quality health care. You would think that they’d have better things to do than legislate what is and isn’t a burger.

42 Likes

Well you’re certainly right that it flies in the face of the idea of a free market. This is useless regulation at its finest.

Also the idea that they are somehow “competing” is nonsense. No one is being tricked into buying veggie burgers and soy milk. They want these products for whatever reason and most likely aren’t buying real milk and burgers.

16 Likes

This is the same bunch of idiots that gave us Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast.

17 Likes

And the age old question is still…
What DO you call a sandwich patty made from ground ham?

7 Likes

No, they really are competing. The Impossible Burger, for instance, is winning over more and more carnivores, especially those who care about the shit that goes into meat, its nasty health effects, and the damage it does to global climate. This bill wouldn’t have passed if meat producers weren’t worried about the competition.

34 Likes