Fear of clustered small holes

It is not smooth and perfect! It must be destroyed!

It seems like you’d have to be either projecting a fear of something else (like the above-mentioned fear of things growing in skin and such), or otherwise be completely out of touch with biology, nature, and the “imperfections” of our physical world to have a fear like this.

That said, it’s a phobia, it’s irrational, so I can’t really judge it fairly, can I? Hmm…

I wonder if you can have a phobia of phobic people?

Friend of mine has it. She’s absolutely terrified of crumpets.

Strangely, while looking up information on something else today I came across this perfectly fitting addition to this thread: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_breast_larvae.htm

Enjoy!

Holes don’t bother me, even lotus pods. Tattoos don’t bother me; I have several. But those pictures of people with lotus-pod-like tattoos, whether real or 'shopped, weird me out.

I remember that as Choco’lite. I miss it.

I think this phobia is an exaggerated case of a natural suspicion of things that are riddled with little holes, something that is frequently associated with decay or infection by insects or microorganisms. It is probably instinctual to have a negative reaction to these textures but it isn’t strong enough for people to lose it and still enjoy things like bread. Some people appear to go the other way though obviously, maybe due to some early negative experiences.

Not a fear - more accurately described as a squick reaction. Not unlike the reaction some people have to the sound of styrofoam rubbing together.

Paying for air? No thanks.

(insert Thatcher / Mr Whippy reference here) Give me a Yorkie instead, please.

Can’t say this particularly bothers me.

Things I really cannot stand : the sound of sweeping a brush on something like concrete, and the texture of velvet.

That would be “misophonia.”

I have no love for the sound of squeaking styofoam (like an ice chest in the back seat of a car with an improperly-secured lid), in fact I hate it, but it doesn’t squick me out.

However, those little shots of compressed air at your ankles in the A Bug’s Life show they sometimes have in the Captain EO theater at Disneyland? Man, those make we want to hop up on a kitchen stool, yank up my apron, and squeal like an animated mom in a sexist Tom and Jerry cartoon.

I’m not scared but, Surinam toads, a photoshop image of a woman’s breast using the lotus holes, give me the goose bumps and I feel my skin flush.

Yeah, that looks a lot like a Mirage bar. That bubble structure is interesting. You can crush it with your tongue when you eat it.

Yeah the animated GIF versions of these images, with stuff in the holes of people’s skin er… vibrating… is really unpleasant to a lot of people, myself included.

I did not visit the link, because I’ve been plenty skeeved out by this stuff before.

Aren’t they cute??

I have this, to call it a phobia is sort of a misnomer, at least for me. the way I try to describe it is an aesthetic revulsion. I never knew there was a name for it until I was talking with my brother about this feeling of horror (skin crawling) looking at certain things containing small holes. He told me about the term and it’s good to know that I’m not alone in this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.