Federal Court: Kentucky discriminated by disallowing "IM GOD" license plate

Mansur Al-Hallaj nods approvingly

1 Like

“Huh. I don’t know, my child, why this person will ‘see you in Trape’. I honestly don’t even know where that is.”

4 Likes

I’d be ok with a blanket ban on vowels on license plates. Personal expression is beyond the scope of their purpose. That’s why god invented bumper stickers (that prick).

Different number plate. You’re thinking of IMZOD.

14 Likes

If I were working in the Kentucky gov’t, I’d refuse to issue an Ohio plate too.

1 Like

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/kentucky-atheist-can-get-im.html

7 Likes

It’s always sad to see someone who doesn’t believe in themself.

17 Likes

Bless his little culture jamming atheist heart.

(I’m a practicing atheist and am authorized, by my own authority, to bless anyone)

4 Likes

Blasphemy! I’m the Instant Messenger god.

hey bb hru? a/s/l

One of my neighbors has the license plate BUT4GOD and I have successfully resisted adding an extra T for multiple years.

5 Likes

I would have settled for 6UL DV8

2 Likes

What does this have to do with religion? This guy’s clearly just a typical network administrator.

2 Likes

And yet “One Nation Under God” at the bottom of every plate is ok?

4 Likes

What part of “I’ll tell you when you’re older” is so difficult to say?

3 Likes

Bit of a bastard, you think?

Are you right now?

A little bit?

Now?

1 Like

I actually think there’s room for a sociology paper in how the shift from norms around things being intrinsically "bad’ to a focus on violations of consent/autonomy is sowing all sorts of discord. (See: Catholic Church Abuse scandal, Epstein flight logs, Weinstein scandal, etc)

For example, in the Catholic Church, many priests are gay and/or embezzle. Also, a few rape children. But how do you turn in your rapist collegue when you’re off banging dudes or exploiting the Vatican bank’s pitful lack of AML measures to line your pockets, and would also be ejected?

So it goes on, not because they’re evil but because they broke bad, and now they’re in over their heads.

Anyways, I worry that teaching a kid “we don’t talk about that” when they ask about a tshirt will just teach them sex is shameful, and possibly really harm them if someone hurts them but they think they’ve done something shameful and can’t tell anyone.

But hey, at least we got to be smug about some hipster and their offensive shirt.

Not difficult but impractical. He’ll go Google it immediately. With pictures.

And so the license plate debate wars began…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I lived in Kentucky for awhile; vanity plates are extremely popular there, because unlike most states, there’s no fee for one (at least there wasn’t when I lived there). For the same price as a normal plate you can order a vanity plate. The way they did it was to let you build your plate online; their site had a list of banned words built in that would automatically reject swears and slurs. But there was a disclaimer that your plate request would be reviewed before approval.

GOD was not an auto-rejected word, so LUVGOD etc was fine. But rejecting IM GOD was at the discretion of the RMV.

I once tried to get a license plate that said NO PANTS, but it was rejected.

6 Likes