Federal Court: Kentucky discriminated by disallowing "IM GOD" license plate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/federal-court-kentucky-discri.html

8 Likes

20 Likes

G0D-DAM  

10 Likes

So if he causes an accident, can his insurance company refuse to pay due to the accident being an act of god?

38 Likes

Why would you want to claim yourself as the Ultimate Ruler of instant messaging?

That said, I cannot believe this is even an issue. Who cares what your ID plate says, as long as it’s legible? I’d be more offended by the plate II00-O1I

5 Likes

I kneel to this fellow. In the most innocent way, of course.

3 Likes

I’m as liberal-minded on personal freedoms as the next guy, but I don’t think I should have to explain to my 7 year-old what “FISTFUCK” means because we walked through parking lot.

2 Likes

I’m not God right now. And now too.

5 Likes

Tell your 7-year old: “It means that driver is a huge asshole.”

22 Likes

10 Likes

Oh, that guy. By this point, the officers probably no longer need the Post-It. They have his address memorized.

7 Likes

Hi, “next guy” here. Why is having a child of any age and also having specific feelings about what you would prefer not to explain to them relevant to first amendment rights? Cultural taboos aren’t always the same as legal taboos and thank goodness for that.

17 Likes

@Aeroplane Are you going to next tell me that I can’t say “fist fuck” in public because you’d have to explain it to your 7 year old? I’ve got 4 kids from toddler to teen, and there’s some things where you just have to tell them that they’re not old enough to understand yet.

11 Likes

No idea why they’d want to piss off Chuck.

1 Like

I’m saying there’s a reason that some cultural standards ARE legalized. There’s enough assholes out there that we need a law to keep them from ruining things for the rest of us.

I don’t think that eliminating certain four-letter-words from vanity license plates is really the hill to die on. If everybody is so comfortable with CUNTRAPE on a license plate, how about any of hundreds of slurs or dogwhistles that anybody can think of in a few minutes?

While the judge’s opinion says that this isn’t a “stamp of approval”, I beg to differ. If there is any limitation at all, allowing things through is a tacit endorsement of them. Like the judge said, if you can allow “LUVGOD” you have to allow “IM GOD” (this is the part of the ruling I agree with). If we’ve got a choice of zero limitations (aside from legibility) and some clever people being frustrated with their choices of vanity license places, sorry clever folks.

2 Likes

Didn’t recognize him without the beard.

4 Likes

Eric Clapton lives in Kentucky now?

2 Likes
5 Likes

wut?
L-Loo Oil?

I did as the plate told me; I instant messaged God, and I got back “new phone who dis?”

10 Likes