Federal court rules that Catholic schools cannot fire teachers for being gay

Exactly this. So it is with trans people, women, and all other discriminated groups. The US is entirely “at-will” employment (with a few states having exceptions for implied contracts, public positions, etc).

In the US, by and large, you can be fired at any time with no reason given. Rulings like this are not a real civil rights win as long as at-will employment exists. It shifts the burden of proof on to the employee to prove what was in the employer’s head. Ridiculous.

As someone who has been fired for being trans and again for being sexually harassed in the US, I am constantly shocked how many Americans don’t understand that your boss doesn’t need to give a reason to fire you. You know why they did it, of course, but there’s nothing you can do about it.

Canada is very different in this regard, and for that I am grateful.

10 Likes

It’s not the gay ones they need to get rid of… it’s the pedophiles they should fire, who are not the same as the gay ones.

14 Likes

For sure. That’s a big part of why. Admitting they have that problem and that most Catholics are perfectly fine with gay priests is just head melting to them.

1 Like

I am sure many kids will be surprised now by their drama teachers coming out.

“But I thought you were straight!”

Acting!

4 Likes

waaaaait

(confused)

There are straight male drama teachers?

Ok, I went to a pretty small school (that clearly didn’t care if people were gay or not), but straight male drama teachers? That’s almost like saying that the girls’ softball coach didn’t have a female “roomate” that she was very close to and attended all events with… (this was the 80’s and lesbian marriage wasn’t legal at the time)

( our girls’ volleyball coach was super awesome. Used to take some of us out on her brother’s fishing boat on weekends.)

1 Like

Where I live that’s called constructive dismissal, and it can get you a large payout when it goes to court.

I’d like to see the Democrats introduce that in the US.

7 Likes

What’s the latin for “constructive dismissal”?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.