Federal court rules that Catholic schools cannot fire teachers for being gay

Originally published at: Federal court rules that Catholic schools cannot fire teachers for being gay | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I’m sure the Catholic Schools will be able to come up with other reasons for firing gay teachers. :slightly_frowning_face:

22 Likes

The Catholic church on the other hand won’t go about firing gay priests unless they are forced because… reasons.

12 Likes

I guess that there is a sunk-cost in training priests; also, if they fire someone, that person might feel free to go public with dirty that they have learnt whilst on the inside. The same seems to apply to peado-priests. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

All well and good, but don’t expect the ruling to stand up on appeal. Hobby Lobby goes a lot farther than just hiring teachers, and since then the religious supremicist wing of the Supreme Court picked up two more seats.

8 Likes

It’s keeping the open secret under wraps. I’m actually pretty hopeful that gradually Catholic priests will be more or less out to their parishioners and that the church itself will be forced to recognise it. Surveys show that nearly all Catholics want them to marry, and the majority are okay with gay priests.

It is the strategy of conservative hardliners to conflate gay priests with child abusers and to say the C church has a gay priests problem rather than an abuse of power and cover up problem.

11 Likes

Our daughter went to 12 years of Catholic school. Her high school was very small, there were a few gay kids in her class, no one really cared. It’s almost as if once people meet a gay kid and realize they’re just kids they don’t see a problem. Almost 20 years later they’re all still friends.

Point is, I think you’re right about Catholics being okay with gay people, it’s the institution that’s messed up.

11 Likes

Jorge da Burgos dislike this decision. He is pretty vindicative. Buy a lot of fire estinguishers for the library.

Ahh… gay not in sense of merry… Sorry, i misunderstood.

4 Likes

If I had a drama teacher, I’d want them to be gay!

1 Like

True. Roberts is a swing vote on social issues but always sides with the employers.

6 Likes

God shall smite them, or not.

5 Likes

God will surely do either something or nothing, for whatever happens is (retroactively) god’s will.

4 Likes

As for gay priests, the church doesn’t care what you’re being celibate from, as long as your celibate. It’s the gay sex they object to, not the gayness per se. But they don’t seem to mind not being celibate if your target is a child.

3 Likes

Amen Sister or Brother!

2 Likes

Hm… Interesting!

Religious schools have gotten away with putting all kinds of restrictive “morality clauses” in their contracts, and the courts have generally upheld them. (Religious? First amendment, can’t touch it!)

eta: From that article, the courts have been chipping away at that more than I thought. Now if they’d only junk Scientology’s contracts signed under duress that stop ex-members from suing. Instead, they have to use an arbitration process that doesn’t exist.

7 Likes

I’ve been recruited by religious non-profits. Things usually fall apart when they say one of my duties is to lead a prayer group once a (week/month/year).

They do this in order to be able to fire you as non-lay person, since you are responsible for leading a religious service. Protects them from wrongful termination suits.

I tell them I’ll be happy to lead a prayer group, as long as it is in the religion of my choice.

8 Likes

Or Non-Binary, etc.

“Now, please turn to page six hundred and sixty-six of the Book of Eibon; and intone the Blasphemous and Squamous Ritual of Summoning Byakhee.”

10 Likes

Oh, I’d be happy to lead a group in their religion.

3fd24d7296108a3821a562110412aff3

7 Likes

Maybe he’ll just smite them in a Rip Taylor kind of way, with a lot of confetti.

4 Likes

If the Catholics fired every gay teacher, they would lose A LOT of priests.

2 Likes