Bigoted teacher uses God as excuse for disrespecting his trans students

Originally published at: Bigoted teacher uses God as excuse for disrespecting his trans students | Boing Boing

7 Likes

These people need to ask themselves: is god putting words in their mouths or is it the other way around?

55 Likes

These assholes are everywhere. Ask A Manager had a writer that stated their employee was getting dead named by another employee because “it would be disrespectful to the transgender employees mother to call them by anything but their birth name.” It went all the way up to HR. It was resolved in favor of the trans employee and fuck-that-chick.

This is literally why I don’t tell anyone my birth name. I am way post transition, look like a cis dude for all intents and purposes, and folks never EVER guess I am trans. Yet, if they know the name on my birth certificate, there is a high non-zero chance that they are going to start calling me that, and then say it was an accident. Think of trying to call a heavily tattooed hairy gay redneck Tiffany or something.

It doesn’t even make sense. Yet, these assholes are just bigots and they will use whatever they can to disrespect and make an issue out of us just existing. It’s not about religion. It’s about bigotry.

68 Likes

So they don’t used people’s married names then? /s

Assholes.

52 Likes

Anyone who worships such a bullying and hateful deity should not be allowed near children.

53 Likes

He’s not going quietly.

12 Likes

Exactly. I have never seen anyone resist using a person’s married name as much as they have resisted calling me by mine. I find throwing things at them, and using a cat spray bottle solves it on a person to person level.

40 Likes

Giggle GIF

26 Likes

Now I wish one of my ink’ed and bearded friends were gay, or visa versa just so I could call them Tiff’. Either way they would start laughing. Just the folks I roll with I guess.

9 Likes

The public schools don’t need your high and mighty ‘Christian’ morality (as if Jesus would have agreed with you…).
Go apply for a teaching job in a benighted, private institution such as a religious school. They’ll love ya.

24 Likes

And pay you half the salary, to boot, because Jesus!

15 Likes

Absurd as a Mormon bartender who refuses to serve alcohol.

26 Likes

I haven’t watched the 60 Minutes story this former teacher mentioned in this story, but he said the 60 Minutes story interviews 30 trans students who detransitioned. From what I found googling (I really don’t feel like watching the 60 Minutes piece, it sounds terrible), they interviewed 4 students who detransitioned. Can someone else who’s seen it confirm which is correct? That’s a big difference.

Also, fuck this guy. He has not business being a teacher. Not even a Sunday School teacher.

10 Likes

So many levels of wrong here, hypocritical asshole.

1. You presume women are unable to decide what is respectful to them. Perhaps “mom” is perfectly fine with the name their child prefers, or maybe even likes it better than the given name. Of course, women can’t be trusted to make their own decisions in life. /s
  2. Aren’t you disrespecting your own mother, “Tanner?” She named you Byron, after all. How dare you dis your own mother by adopting “Tanner”, or allowing others to call you by anything other than your given first name.

Calling anyone by anything other than their preferred name is extremely disrespectful. It’s an attempt to exert power over that person, and it also reveals a deep seated insecurity.

I think Byron needs to take some time and reflect on why names – given names, nicknames, aliases – are such a big issue to him. (And in that reflection, maybe he can come to grips with Simon Peter, the apostle who’s given name was Simon, but went by the name Peter after Jesus disrespected Simon’s mother and started calling him Peter.)

Edit: to make clear I was responding to the Ask A Manager discussion, and not accusing @ethicalcannibal of being a hypocrite. (sorry if this is clear, but I felt bad that someone might think I was criticizing @ethicalcannibal )

23 Likes

For some reason I keep thinking about that song about a boy named Sue…

3 Likes

Someone should ask him if he uses clothes with two-threaded fabrics and stone him if he says yes. And/or ask him if he could buy some Mexican as slaves.

5 Likes

Have you considered filling said bottle with actual cat pee? Just a thought.

5 Likes

Or say he was on sin as he shaved his face

2 Likes

A bigoted PE teacher? Has he tried not being a walking, talking trope?

14 Likes

GOD: Oh Tanner, a word about MY preferred pronouns…

9 Likes