Federal workers must show up and can't strike even when not paid in Trump's Shutdown

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/09/federal-workers-must-show-up-a.html

7 Likes

But universal healthcare is slavery

45 Likes

Lots of smoke breaks, walks for step counts, long lunches, coffee breaks and leaving early.

There but, not there.

29 Likes

The slowdown was also a very effective tool of collective bargaining.

How
Can
I
Help
You
Today
?

19 Likes

Federal workers must show up and can’t strike even when not paid in Trump’s Shutdown

tumblr_pg91nhMNt81raoevc_250

25 Likes

Slightly related…

28 Likes

HA…

HA…

25 Likes

What jury is going to find for the Government in such a case?

11 Likes

There’s a legal measure called “impossibility of performance”; if you don’t have money for transit or to put gas in your car, you can’t get to work.

25 Likes

Striking was always illegal for everyone. The only way workers have ever gotten the right to strike is by going on strike.

28 Likes

Cops aren’t workers.

22 Likes

Surely the law can’t prohibit them from quitting?

6 Likes

Calling in sick…

Apparently some federal workers are already engaged in a new job search. One way or another, the government is going to lose some people because of this.

16 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something, here…

1. Federal employees cannot go on strike.
  2. If they do go on strike, they are subject to arrest and confinement.
  3. Are they subject to arrest by federal officers… Who are also not getting paid.
  4. And even if the strikers somehow do get arrested, they go to jail… Staffed by even more workers who aren’t getting paid.
    Why are any of the unpaid workers putting up with this, given how many of them aren’t getting paid?
13 Likes
13 Likes

So is work-to-rule.

Seriously, most people have no idea how many extra little things that aren’t specifically required, most workers do in a day. Things that were never formally written into the job description. Even things that vaguely are, but aren’t essential to the day-to-day functioning are often droppable. “I am sorry, but if you want that time-and-task record keeping done, you can pay for it.”

14 Likes

I really don’t understand how not showing up for work when you’re not getting paid constitutes a strike. A strike is a labor action. Like, you want something, so you’re negotiating.

Not showing up for work when your boss can’t make payroll isn’t going on strike. It’s not having a job any more. If you wanted those prisons guarded, cough up the money boss-man.

18 Likes

“the most essential workers are the ones who we can fuck with the most” is a part of labor laws i will never understand.

we’re too essential to strike, THAT’S WHY YOU SHOULD STRIKE.

i work at a hospital and we (the custodians) were even deemed “too essential” to strike as we watched our union get dismantled in front of us.

is that not the point of a strike? show how essential is it for you to be working?

how are there rules on when you’re “allowed” to strike? isn’t the whole point that it’s not allowed ? that you’re proving your power to disrupt the employer’s ability to profit? how can you “not let” someone strike?

26 Likes

From @d_r 's link:

Schumer claimed that Trump slammed the table and “just walked out of the meeting” after not getting his demands. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) denied that Trump slammed the table and said the president brought pieces of candy to those who attended the meeting in the Situation Room.

So – the GOP will roll over for a piece of candy…

16 Likes

Do the workers get backpay when the shutdown is over?

2 Likes