Feds can't get into New York City mayor Eric Adams' phone

Originally published at: Feds can't get into New York City mayor Eric Adams' phone - Boing Boing

7 Likes

he wished to preserve the contents of his phone due to the investigation

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

20 Likes

Have they tried this password?

“1 – 7 – 3 – 4 – 6 – 7 – 3 – 2 – 1 – 4 – 7 – 6 – Charlie – 3 – 2 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 7 – 7 – 7 – 6 – 4 – 3 – Tango – 7 – 3 – 2 – Victor – 7 – 3 – 1 – 1 – 7 – 8 – 8 – 8 – 7 – 3 – 2 – 4 – 7 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 7 – 6 – 4 – 3 – 7 – 6 – Lock.”

14 Likes

“It’s funny that New Yorkers voted in a right-wing Democratic Party cop and he so quickly set about looting the city that he ended up the first sitting mayor in its history to be charged with corruption while still in office.”

Meh, New Yorkers, whatchagonnado? :man_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

Somebody tell them to try, “!_h8_Ratz”

12 Likes

Try “Istanbul” or “Turkish Airlines”.

10 Likes

I know New York politics is famously corrupt, but I’ve wondered if his background in the incredibly corrupt New York police doesn’t have a bigger role in all this. He got used to a certain way of doing things, tried to apply that to politics, and it was a bridge too far that got him in trouble.

16 Likes

Adams did what de Blasio, Bloomberg, Giuliani were never able to do: stop NYC from piling bags of garbage in the streets like it was still the Victorian era.
I wonder if he’ll run for reelection from prison? (can they do that in NY?)

2 Likes

I’d go with ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

12 Likes

is this an iPhone or android with some kind of encryption app?

1 Like

Are you kidding?

The large stationary, on-street dumpsters that will be rolled out next year is a project that pre-dated Adams.

His wheelie bin “innovation” is about as impressive as his lies about his phone password.

12 Likes

I wonder if they’re using GrayKey, which is one of the scariest damned things I’ve heard of in a while as far as privacy goes.

10 Likes

Yes.

Adams’ involvement with the wheelie bins begins and ends with him announcing them.

The whole situation would be a hilarious sitcom episode if we weren’t force to live it in real life.

8 Likes

In a way, it’s the absolute best kind of lie: he knows he’s lying, we know he’s lying, the prosecution certainly knows he’s lying. However it is literally impossible for the prosecution to prove that he didn’t forget his password.

7 Likes

Well prove is a strong word. I don’t know how things work in NY courts. But a judge can hold someone in contempt for pretending to forget their password. That can mean fines or sitting in jail.
Probably a dangerous legal game to be playing. But I suppose one can always suddenly remember the password if the judge gets tough.

5 Likes

He’s got a good enough lawyer that I really doubt a judge could make it stick. It certainly has enough plausible deniability for a jury.

4 Likes

Oh I’m 100% sure that he doesn’t remember the password. He’s lying about why he changed the password, but I believe that he changed the password, and to something impossible to memorize, as the post suggests

11 Likes

From the article

“Prior to connecting any Apple mobile device to GrayKey, determine if proper search authority has been established for the requested Apple mobile device,” the document reads.

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Interestingly, there’s no mention of biometric data for unlocking and whether / how GrayKey handles that.

Many iPhone users have purely numerical passcodes, only made up of numbers. An alphanumeric passcode also uses letters, so has more characters options, and can generally be more resilient to brute force attempts if it uses a random series of characters. If the device uses an alphanumeric passcode containing real words however, that may make cracking the passcode easier thanks to word lists; long lists of human readable words.

As always, there’s an xkcd (battery staple horse correct). tl;dr - four words selected at random is a fiercely strong password. By “random”, they mean chosen by a machine, dice, algorithm, or similar; your brain isn’t as random as it needs to be for this.

8 Likes

It was years and years ago when I first came across websites that informed users their passwords could not include any “dictionary words.” tophat-shrug pain25 shrug fool39 uh shrug

4 Likes

Yep. A lot has changed in the world of info security in the past decade or so. Which is why I mostly leave it up to the professionals - the intuitive answer stopped being the safer path a while back. :slight_smile:

3 Likes