Feedback on Discourse badges and BBS specific badges

Oh yeah, that. :laughing:
Itā€™s a bitā€¦ sparseā€¦ really. Things will no doubt pick up as more users get access.

You must be looking at the other lounge, O Supreme Leader.

Thereā€™s only one post in the Lounge right now. Nothing has come up that weā€™d keep from the rest of you. :wink:

Hmmm. I didnā€™t realise that the leader badge put an optional thing next to your name. What a horrible idea. Comes across as elitist, and thatā€™s coming from someone who is 1337 as fuck.

Getting a badge for good behaviour makes me want to insult someone and start an argument.

In the last 100 daysā€¦

must have visited at least 50% of days
must have replied to at least 10 different topics
of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25%
of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25%
must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)

1 Like

I just came here to brag that I am now an official badgeholder! Woot! Woot!

Anyway, I think, reading through these posts (cause Iā€™m a Reader), that there is a general idea of upvotes and downvotes circulating, not so much to a particular post but to a user. Unfortunately, since these is not a mechanism to literally move a preferred posterā€™s comments above a jerk posterā€™s comments then it doesnā€™t mean that much. My new badge doesnā€™t even show up on my ChickieD avatar. sad.

I enjoyed receiving my badge but without it really affecting the behavior of ranking of comments or there being a special snowflake attached to my avatar, I donā€™t feel like I am getting all of the recognition that I am due as a special BoingBoing snowflake banana sundae.

How about changing the name of the Elder badge to Super Ninja, and then changing Leader to Elder? 'Cause I donā€™t really want to turn that title on because @EcholocateChoco is right about it coming off too damned elitist.

2 Likes

Oh shut up. :wink:

too damn elitest.

I agree. AND it seems more like a Follower badge.

So, Coryā€™s out of the group.

That feels like itā€™s rewarding quantity over quality. Not saying Iā€™m right and theyā€™re wrong, obviously, but I think a true ā€œleaderā€ knows that they canā€™t lead every discussionā€¦at least, not well.

I guess the heart of the issue is, how do we encourage more of the kinds of behavior that we want in a discussion board and punish those that are trollish?

Lots of trolls are prolific; that doesnā€™t make them the people we want to encourage to post more. But I do enjoy someone who can stir the pot - as long as itā€™s in moderation.

On the other hand, if you set up the system to award badges programmatically, that means that the system can be gamed. So, back to the only real way to do it is to have a mod award badges, which as @codinghorror pointed out is kind of a nightmare for the mods.

Quantity of reading is not a bad thing to reward ā€“ are you sure you read the requirements correctly?

I mean, when was the last time you said ā€œyeah, maybe an OK person, but they just read way too much!ā€

1 Like

Quantity vs quality of reading makes me think of the old joke, which I heard ascribed to Woody Allen:

ā€œTook a speed reading course, and was able to read War & Peace in only 40 minutes. It was great: all about Russia!ā€

1 Like

How about being able to buy badges with likes? I donā€™t mean earn them, I mean actually choose what badge youā€™d like and be able to buy it, with likes transferred out of your account and back to the ā€œbbankā€. Certain badges could be ā€œlimited editionā€ and perhaps sold or transferred in the future to other commenters in exchange for likes.

In other words, why not make likes the whuffie of bbs.

2 Likes

Turns out Iā€™m bothered that there are achievements for always being so bland you never annoy anyone. Is the BBS supposed to be such an analogue to every other place?

Iā€™ve been moderated a few times for asking very pointed questions of people who -appear- to be talking out both sides of their mouth. And the questions is basically, hey, i see this as you talking out both sides of your mouth, my opinion, could you clarify because I donā€™t understand how you do both.

Nobody likes to get caught saying something that doesnā€™t add up. Not everyone calls in the mods for help because their logic, from a formal POV, adds up to them being hypocritical. I think pointed questions of people advocating/excusing any [position they are absolutely against] because [exculpatory circumstance]ā€¦ is fair. Also just my opinion.

I dunno. I got namecalled. I donā€™t think it should cost me anything in my ā€˜reputationā€™ just so the mods can grease a squeaky, passive-aggressive, point-dodging, finger pointing, name calling wheel who, when given multiple chances to reply, even a clarification, continued to only turn the tableā€¦

But there I am, never will be a ā€œLeaderā€. I guess Leaders donā€™t challenge people. So very sad (/s)

Iā€™ll live, itā€™s not terminal.

1 Like

Pistols at dawn, motherfucker.

8 Likes

Gameification - awarded for suggesting a new badge that is adopted by the BBS

6 Likes

Pretty sure Iā€™ve had that said about me at least once.

1 Like

I do think that ā€œLeaderā€ is an odd choice for something that means ā€œhangs out on BoingBoing too muchā€

15 Likes

I donā€™t think that he was referring to ā€œreadingā€ all of the ā€œarticlesā€ in Playboy.

It seems to be ~30 likes in an 8 hour periodā€¦
I tend to dole all of them out every morning and I am always left with no likes to give until the evening.

6 Likes