Feedback on vertical timeline

“Back” takes you to the first unread post.

not really,

Back takes you to the last unread post, there is currently no way to get to the first unread post, a feature that would be handy.

The new muted color is much better.

None of my other comments change – it’s still distracting (although less so). I don’t mind the idea of the “Reply” button although it’s very bright and always kind of lurking in my peripheral vision so it still represents a distraction. The Tracking button makes no sense to me – do people change this option so much that it needs such prominence?

I’d still prefer having the ability to disable it entirely (and not by resorting to CSS hacks.)

1 Like

@sam, @codinghorror Can we have an answer to this question please?

2 Likes

We don’t know the answer quite yet, we are going to come up with something.

5 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t know. I go to a topic where I have a bunch of unread posts, and scroll up, hover over the back button, and this is what it says:

When I click on it, it takes me to the first unread post in the topic.

1 Like

Try entering a topic you have not read at all at post 800, there is no current mechanism for finding the first unread post you have there (which would be post #1)

Yeah, I think it thinks that if you’ve read post #800 in a 1600-post topic, you’ve read #1-#799, so the “first unread” will be #801, even if you haven’t actually seen, say, post #321.

The copy is simply wrong there , it should say

go back to your last unread post

Last in the sense of “last in the topic”, in the sense of “lowest in the topic”, in the sense of “bottom-most read position”.

We have no plans to surface “read holes” in the UI, when you have read, say, posts 45-70, 113-115, and 320+ in a topic with 341 replies total.

*bump*

This is the first discourse update considerably worsening my experience - the blue blob makes it harder to concentrate on the text, and easy reading should be one of the most important core functions of a message board.

4 Likes

While I am typing a reply, the vertical timeline goes away, and I see the previous style of box. I wasn’t sure if this was intentional.

2 Likes

Yes, it is – because the editor will frequently obscure the timeline.

2 Likes

I tried hard to cope with the blue blob on the height of my visual focus but I cannot stand it. It irritates me immensely and I will use the BBS only for inconsequential activities like chatting, most likely less regular than before.

So long and thanks for all the fish, it was nice while it lasted.

2 Likes

For the record

1. I much prefer no big blue blob, and raised it here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/change-right-gutter-to-vertical-timeline-topic-controls/44096/201?u=sam it is one of the most liked posts on the topic, generally people agree that it is too much

2. Ultimately @codinghorror chooses the defaults for Discourse, so he needs to be convinced that something is good vs bad

3. Ultimately @beschizza is in charge of BBS, with one swift CSS change he can remove the blue blob, he is the boss on this particular site, not us

4. Love takes time to heal when your hurting so bad, you need to show some level of patience here, design and changes are often painful and take time:

6 Likes

For what it’s worth to anyone, as a possible temporary workaround, to avoid the blue blob for now:

Because I have subpar eyesight, I zoom in to read on my MacBook at 150% Zoom. It so happens that at 150% the comments fill the screen horizontally, and the right-hand gutter and vertical timeline disappear completely. The blue blob is found at the end of the thread after all the comments like it used to be for everyone, and the good old topic progress box (post count) is there at the bottom of the screen like it was before.

Of course, at 150% zoom, there’s a bit more vertical scrolling.

Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I don’t expect a webpage without form fields or text boxes to react when I press random keys on the keyboard. Plus, I’m not sure how to press a ? outside of a text-entry area while using my iPad.

Overall thoughts:

• The blue line is distracting.
  • I’m disappointed that the “Reply as new topic”, along with the links to the linked topics, have been removed from the right-hand gutter. They were a feature that needed more development & integration and I’m a bit worried that this is just the first step on the path of hide feature → feature gets used less often → remove feature because it’s not used as much as it used to be.
  • The dates on the timeline could be useful, but they’re not there yet. Most topics on the BBS are locked inside of five days so the timeline really needs more granularity than the particular day. And for long-running topics such as count to ten thousand the older posts from last year should continue to show the exact date instead of reverting to only the month and year.
1 Like

OK, we’ve made the right gutter reply button smaller, just a glyph. See if this helps!

2 Likes

I like it better than the previous version, but I still think it would be better if the colour was faded except when the mouse was in the gutter.

Any answers on the where the “branch new topic” button went yet?

2 Likes

We don’t like to rely on hovers as they are complete dead ends on every phone and tablet that ever existed, or ever will exist.

You can chime in on reply as new topic ideas here

1 Like