Feedback on vertical timeline

I do like it to be a guinea pig for Discourse in general. I think we’ll all know if a particular feature or innovation just ain’t right for this joint, but that doesn’t mean people won’t have to look at it a while first.

7 Likes

Old one has more utility to me. New one feels like a heavy farkle.

3 Likes

Can you put it in a circle?

We all love circles here.

3 Likes

Some UX issues I’ve encountered:

• Multiple times now, I’ve started to select some text to quote reply, then clicked in the whitespace to the right to deselect… and the page spastically jumped to another post. Took me awhile to realize that I was clicking an invisible UI widget. There should be a background color and/or outline to indicate the widget (yes I see now that the mouse pointer changes, but I didn’t notice that several times).

• The top right of a comment already shows days or hours since posted. So what does the timeline really add? I noticed (after a bit) that it does have the 16/120 counter, but I didn’t see that at first because I was so used to the bigger, much bluer counter. I thought that the context of where I was in the conversation had gone away. To me, that’s more important than the date.

• The browser already has a scrollbar. Scrollbars within scrollbars just feels weird. It’s counterintuitive.

I’m not entirely against it. But it could maybe use a little tightening up, and I wonder what it’s even there for (we already have a scrollbar and the relative times that comments were posted).

4 Likes

The timeline always shows absolute time, whereas your post (right now) shows 16m.

Try your “browser scrollbar” on a topic with 100+ replies, or even 500+ replies. You Won’t Believe What Happens Next!

1 Like

I do most of my browsing on my phone, so I don’t use the vertical scrollbar much. But I’m on my laptop now, and I can’t say I’m having a great time with it. Trying to use it in a very large thread (like the Associate! game) to go back only, say, 20-30 posts or so is extremely difficult, at least for me. :rage: I prefer the blue number box for in-thread navigation.

As mentioned earlier in this topic, press ? On your keyboard. The # key is the one you want in particular.

Jumping to a specific number, you will definitely want to use the shortcut which is designed for that.

1 Like

Thank you! Thought I’d seen something about that but couldn’t find it later.

1 Like

How would that work on a tablet or phone?

This is really missing.

On mobile*, I can get around it by quoting something, then copy-all, kill the post, and go to dedicated topic.

However, that fails everywhere for closed topics.

* yeah, why was “reply as new topic” never available on [Firefox] mobile, anyway?

The bottom of the timeline still shows relative time, but the top and the slider use absolute values. Is that on purpose? It feels a bit incongruous.

Depends how old the topic is; try browsing topics from a few months ago.

Thanks for the change, the smaller button is less distracting.

eta: the important qualifier here is “less”. after reading a few hundred posts I still propose to move the whole scroll bar/reply box to the bottom of the page - or is there a reason that needs the blob to be vertically centered?

2 Likes

I strongly agree. When reading comments, the situation is low-pressure enough that a cockpit with dials and switches along the bottom is more appropriate than a noisy heads-up display…

3 Likes

It’s on the link dialog now. Give it a try.

1 Like

Not to sound like a republican, but can’t we keep things the way they are? Actually I guess at this point I really mean ‘were’, can’t we just put everything back to the way it was and call it a day?

EDIT: If you want my “indepth” criticism of the new link functionality here it is: it breaks up the flow of the posts in the topic. It interrupts my reading and the discussion, and I really really really don’t like it when someone interrupts my reading of a discussion.

3 Likes

After living with this for a couple of weeks I have to admit that there has been a positive change in my viewing habits.

When I first got my iPad, just about two years ago, I instinctively held it in portrait orientation. I would only flip over to landscape when a particular app forced me to, but as soon as I was finished in that app I’d flip back over to portrait mode. It took me a long time to realize that this is not typical of most tablet users, and that most apps and even most websites were designing for the widescreen view of the landscape-oriented tablet. In the last six months or so I’ve slowly become more used to and accepting of landscape - what orientation I viewed a website in was now mostly a function of what app I had been using prior to switching to Safari.

During the last two weeks I have been instinctively flipping my iPad back to portrait so that the screen is too narrow and the timeline is replaced with the old blue box. I still find portrait more pleasing and comfortable, so having this external stimuli to help break me of the landscape habit has been useful.

5 Likes

I see what you did there :hand_splayed:. It’s like saying you are enjoying the whole trump thing cause he makes you appreciate how big your hands are.

5 Likes

Almost. I get what you’re saying, but in reality nothing can make me enjoy the trump thing.

2 Likes

This was moved to the link/share button, give it a shot. Some disagree but I think it’s a good, logical change.

Over time I came to agree that the reply button – even the ensmallened version – should be less of an emphatic bright blue. So I’ve made that change and it is deployed here. :ok_hand:

3 Likes