Feels like a Tuesday: research explains why days "feel" certain ways

Originally published at: Feels like a Tuesday: research explains why days "feel" certain ways | Boing Boing

2 Likes

office-space-the-case-of-the-mondays

16 Likes

Let’s hope most days feel like a Wednesday, one way

Or the other

26 Likes

The assignment of different feelings, thoughts and even chromatic hues to different days of the week, is something of a time-based synaesthesia, and has been extensively studied for a number of years now.

6 Likes

Monday’s child is fair of face,
Tuesday’s child is full of grace,
Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
Thursdays child has far to go,
Fridays child is loving and giving,
Saturday’s child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay;

((a fridayschild m’self [smug]))

11 Likes
6 Likes

The seven-day week originated in Mesopotamia among the Babylonians, and it has stuck around for millennia. However, it’s not inherently special. Egyptians once used a ten-day week, and Romans used an eight-day week before officially adopting a seven-day week in AD 321.

I wonder if a worker’s union was the cause of this? If so, good for them. Can you imagine an 8 day work week? No thank you.

Norma Rae Strike GIF by Industrial Workers of the World

14 Likes

Since I retired, I have trouble keeping track of the days of the week. Monday is meaningless to me because I don’t need to go to work. Actually, Mondays are now better for me because everyone else has gone back to work!

If you don’t like how days of the week treat you, change how you interact with them!

12 Likes

UwatsOa

20 Likes

(My claim to fame-adjacent: I went to high school with the actress)

3 Likes

“This must be Thursday,’ said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.”

10 Likes

Do cultures not descended from the Abrahamic religions have cyclic days off as part of their week structures? I know Rome had a lot of public holidays on the calendar, but I really have no idea what kind of structure weeks had in the past or other parts of the world.

4 Likes

Bonus:

But really

9 Likes

I’ve heard the the 19th century brits used a 6.5 day work week-- maids and footmen could expect a day off every fortnight.

2 Likes

Tuesday is Guest Star Day.

ETA:

No one else got the reference? Sheesh, I’m not that old… They had re-runs into the '70s, y’know!

Monday – Fun with Music Day
Tuesday – Guest Star Day
Wednesday – Anything Can Happen Day
Thursday – Circus Day
Friday – Talent Round-up Day

I mean, one has to assume…yet I’m sure slaves in the USA and former colonies never really got a break. Sunup to sundown, never a day off? But then again, US slaves weren’t typically fed beer and good bread, either.

Tired Good Night GIF

5 Likes

tenor (25)

7 Likes
3 Likes

It’s interesting to me that people are more inclined towards risky behavior on Friday.

When I was a motorcycle courier I used to hate and dread Fridays.

Fridays were the busiest day of the week as businesses tried to get cheques out, get stuff to print and generally draw a line under that week’s work and get home early, or at least leave work on time.

But this would put couriers under pressure to deliver stuff before offices closed and this, along with the increase in workload and the increase in traffic as everyone tried to get home, was a dangerous mix.

Almost every crash I had, and every serious crash among my colleagues took place on a Friday evening.

9 Likes

Sure, as long as it had a 3-day weekend!

2 Likes