Female sexuality, not pubes, is why prudes took down this painting

It’s the insidious child-protection angle that really gets my goat about this. Apparently the painting was hung in a place where it could be seen by children on their way to the gallery’s learning centre, and the painting was removed to “protect children and vulnerable adults”. What precisely they’re to be protected from isn’t specified, of course.

1 Like

The thing that kinda kills me is that this is a sexual female as painted by a female, Lena McCall. The exhibition was of The Society of Women Artists, which has been around since 1857.

In other words, a group of female artists selected this piece for representation.

http://www.society-women-artists.org.uk

If the problem was the location where the piece was hung in the gallery, a similarly-sized piece should have been exchanged from the floor.

1 Like

Wait: she killed a man instead of the other way around? Nope, that’s still not “right”.

1 Like

Absolutely. It should be a 12-point buck on the ground.

3 Likes

I was thinking the exact, same thing right after I finished it.

1 Like

The linked article in the Grauniad is a bit over the top in its breathless sociological theorising, though:

The implication’s clear: the minute a woman is alive and free to move, an active agent of her own sexuality, she is a menace to society.

No, the actual reason why still nudity was not banned on stage is much simpler. The censors justified their non-censorship of painting and sculpture by making movement the defining feature of censorious activity on stage. Theatres then exploited the loophole for all it was worth.

All that I am still noticing are those bare ankles.

1 Like

Yes, and those sinful shins.

1 Like

My friends photo was taken down from an exhibit because of complaints about sexy sow teats…
(Granted, it was an exhibit at some bank in Washington DC and not a gallery)

Considering that I once lived above a girl who brought in $7,000/mth (after taxes) running her own foot fetish site, I have no reason to doubt you.

2 Likes

And to round it out, “Ceci n’est pas une pipe”

You know you were thinking that!

4 Likes

Because it hasn’t been linked yet:

6 Likes

Well, it’s an awesome painting and I’m glad it will be a beneficiary I the Streisand effect.

1 Like

Not voluble adults, obviously.

I dunno, I like the irony of a feminist into chastity-play and 2nd amendment open-carry demonstrations standing her ground against an MRA.

3 Likes

There is little chance I ever would have seen this wonderful and powerful painting had they not censored it. Sometimes, and perhaps more than sometimes, censorship doesn’t quite work out the way people intend.

11 Likes

Hurray for Streisand!

3 Likes

I really worry that someone somewhere thought in their head: “wow, those are some sexy sow teats!”

eep.

1 Like

2 Likes

Again, I really worry about anyone who thinks “wow, those are some sexy sow teats”…

(and BDSM Miss Piggy seems a very specific fetish)