Fermenting

I’ll have pics later, but I am unleashing an unholy bomb on my office today. I often bring in snacks and whatnot, but today…

• Super garlic fermented kimchi
  • Fermented sweet ginger
  • Mushroom miso soup

They will all be served with spicy nori, and Altoids.

10 Likes

Looking forward to pics (and reactions from your coworkers!)

Do tell! (directions?)

1 Like

(oh wow that all sounds really really tasty…)

And a truckload of fresh Italian flatleaf parsley sprigs.
And a building with operable, openable windows.

Next up for office snack time: limburger cheese, pickled herring and blutwurst (all foods from my maternal side of the fam).

I’ll
wait
over
here
then.

8 Likes

i got half the office to try it. and i like your idea, but i think it needs a pate as well >:)

2 Likes

All your gut biome are belong to us!

4 Likes

Version 2:

All your intestinal flora are belong to us.

Somebody set us up the biome.

I’ll just show myself out now, shall I?

5 Likes

MAKE YOUR THYME! HAHAHA!

4 Likes

LOL!

(how’d I miss that one?!?)

3 Likes

Gotcha covered… I think:

(really, it’s a lunchbox, but I think it may be a useful size to carry all the extra Altoids your office-mates might request)

3 Likes

FINALLY, I started another batch of fermenty stuffs! I’m just about done eating the purple cabbage kraut, so there will be room in the fridge when this batch is done.

1 lb Persian cukes
5 cloves garlic
mustard seeds, dill, red pepper flakes, a bay leaf
2T brine from the last batch (radish/daikon/onion)

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

6 Likes

It’s 5 days later, so I had a taste.

Yummy! I think I may have overdone it a wee bit with the red pepper flakes. That pickle packed some heat! I think I’m going to let it ferment for another day or so. Maybe. I dunno, I may need to eat some more so I can make up my mind.

9 Likes

Trader Joe’s has fish sauce now!

I picked up a bottle the other day. I foresee some tasty kimchi in my future.

4 Likes

I finally tried some well tired what I knew to be kimchee ahead of time and I was meh. I mean I wouldn’t turn it down if was really hungry but there definitely other things I would happily eat instead. Still you have me wanting to give an attempt at kraut and some carrots.

2 Likes

http://www.korea.net/AboutKorea/Korean-Life/Food

Kimchi, traditionally, is a condiment. Apart from the people who are clearly ferment-crazy here on this bbs, the way one is meant to eat kimchi traditionally is as an accompaniment with rice and meats. Rice is bland. Kimchi makes it interesting. Noodles are bland. Add some kimchi and a bit of chopped seafood or meat… it’s a meal.

It’s got a pretty concentrated flavor. I’d advocate trying it out at a Korean restaurant, in context, before giving up on it. You might change your mind.

4 Likes

Hey, I resemble that remark!

4 Likes

I’m about to go out and pick up the ingredients for a batch of kimchi! More news as it develops. :wink:

5 Likes

Well, organic napa cabbage was not available locally, so I ended up with regular green cabbage instead. So here’s my attempt at kimchi (or kraut-chi, I guess):

Cabbage, daikon, carrot, onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, red pepper flakes.

10 Likes

Bring a bowl and pull up a chair. The kimchi is ready!

Mmmmmm, crunchy hot spicy!

10 Likes

Hi, there everyone! This was prepared after reading advice on this board. So fun. Thank you for sharing so many insights and tips. We’re starting a second ferment and hoping for a dry ginger flavor. Ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks again.

6 Likes

Second ferment question, what’s the best way to get strong carbonation?

We have a 5 day second ferment that tastes right except low fizz. We put it in the fridge after 48 hours.

1 Like