Fermenting

What the hell am I gonna do with this oregano gouda sour dough!?

My life is so hard!!

ETA

That was a hella good loaf. It had a four day cold ferment which was perfect.

1 Like

So lets say a person wanted to make Balsamic vinegar. Given that it takes a couple years to makeā€¦ How much should I start out with?

I go through a 16 oz bottle every four months, so on a two year cycle say two gallons?

Look at that crumb! Send it here, if you donā€™t want itā€¦I canā€™t do much in the way of baking right now anyway.

For many, not wanting to be party to the killing of animals is the point, not whether or not a molecule of animal DNA enters oneā€™s alimentary canal.

1 Like

I know, right!? If I can ever refine my shaping technique ima gonna open a bakery :smile:

I was writing a reply which I canceled several times. I am sure we both know all the arguments (I was veg for eight years) so the only thing I will rehash is the cold hash in my fridge >:)

2 Likes

Okay, so I have a plan regarding balsamic.

Authentic balsamic is aged for 12 years. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll be alive in 12 years. So I am going to accelerate the process. And cheat.

Commercial wine kits are wine juice that is usually double strength sugar wise, so you dilute it 100%. Musto, what you make balsamic from is wine juice that has been reduced to double strength. I.e. sugar wise they are the same.

Musto is aged in oak barrels so it can oxidize, evaporate, and leech tanins. I shall use a non porous three gallon fermenter with an air stone, air pump, and no air lock.

Instead of oak barrels I shall use toasted oak sawn from wine barrels, added directly to the musto.

To further concentrate the musto for a year, I shall have a vent fan, similar to a computer case fan, pulling air and evaporation from the musto.

1 Like

Dark rye (but not pumpernickel dark).

Bit lopsided, shaping is still my weakest link.

3 Likes

Dill? On rye? I say good day to you sir, good day!

1 Like

Iā€™m watching a Transformers movie while I donate blood plasma. Pretty sure my brain is decomposing. Does that count as a fermentation recipe?

7 Likes

Yeah, didnā€™t really work out. Itā€™s okay at best, though structurally the crumb is great.

Really it is Go Caraway or Go Home. And it only fermented three hours, which for rye just. Isnā€™t. Long. Enough.

1 Like

So Iā€™m buying cabbage later to start my first batch of sauerkraut (in my little pickling/fermenting jar). Is the preparation really as easy as ā€œmassage the salt into the chopped cabbageā€? Should I just keep it simple for my first batch, or can I add a clove or two of garlic? Any tried-and-true tips for beginners?

Are the skewers to transmit heat through the loaf? Cunning. No fancypants port or fermented lemons in my house, but Iā€™ma make me some damn beer next weekend. I canā€™t afford to pay for it any more, so out come the barrels. Having a tap that beer comes out of in your own kitchen is as consistently satisfying as having a fast car. Put car in second, boot it, hit sixty: WOOOOOO!!! Turn tap, fill pint glass with beer: WHEYAYE BONNY LAD! Know a good non toxic botrytis stopper, BTW?

3 Likes

Iā€™d fancy some pants! Almostā€¦

Add garlic. add garlic. And it really is that simple. I sometimes cheat and add a tablespoon of Braggā€™s apple cider vinegar or kombucha, but that is about it. Keep it in a warm dark place, and press plastic on the topā€“you donā€™t need to, but cabbage that is left open to air turns kinda grey.

2 Likes

Ah, the skewers were to help vent moisture! So the bottom would stay crisp. I couldnā€™t find my rack :smile:

And post your beer recipes. Quite a few brewers here and not asā€¦ Judgemental (cough bjcp) as other places. I currently just have a port and several vinegars fermenting, but I need to get an imperial stout going STAT for Christmas.

Indeed! Hereā€™s a hug for making such awesome bread!

Alsoā€¦ this is from like a million years ago. Stillā€¦

2 Likes

Lookit, lookit!

A head of cabbage, two cloves of garlic, and sea salt. This is gonna be the longest 5 days ever. :wink:

6 Likes

Whatā€¦no caraway seed?

(running away quickly)

2 Likes

You know complainers donā€™t get to share, right? :wink: Maybe you can add caraway to your first batch!

4 Likes