Fermenting

Niiiiice. Having drywalled, I know that it is one of the biggest pains in the tookus, so I commend you for your hard labor.

And there is a piece of tape that bubbled right in the middle.

But for a fermentarium, it shall be beautiful. (I may cut out that section and flippan patch it)

Poke a hole in it, let the air out, inject some epoxy, smooth it with a spatula, say ten hail marys, scratch your nose with a fern leaf and never look back.

3 Likes

Or as I am want to doā€¦

JB weld it. Grey is good!

2 Likes

Totally. Or turn it into an alcove for a Virgisaurus.

5 Likes

I am cheating so hard on this batch of Scotch Ale.

Caramelized sucrose, hops I got for free, slightly expired maltā€¦ It is gonna be my best beer ever.

5 Likes

Lookit!!
Here is my beer, finally! It took for-fucking-ever to clear because, I think, I used a jar of comb honey from this Halal food store near me to prime it, so I ended up adding loads of weird wild yeasts to the mix right at the end. However, they made it fucking delicious (the bees knees, thanks to the bees knees, indeed). Itā€™s quite likely the nicest beer Iā€™ve ever made and, therefore, probably impossible to reproduce :frowning: . Itā€™s got a lovely dry, spicy taste reminiscent of wheat beers like Schneider Wiesse, but with these really nice honey overtones. And it comes out of a tap in my kitchen.

Beer tap. Kitchen. Weekend. Awwww, yiss.

Is there a finer sight than sunshine through a glass of beer? Is there? No fancy space-pot like yours, mind. Ah used mah bukkit :smile:

16 Likes

That is a gorgeous color, and a lovely lace. And the carbonation appears spot on.

Make sure you save half a dozen and actually keep 'em. ā€˜Old or Forgottenā€™ beer night is one of the highlights of the hobby.

(When am I coming over?)

5 Likes

Having had two glasses that size in twenty minutes or so, I can also attest itā€™s canny fucking strong :smile:

7 Likes

This may be a strange analogy, butā€¦

Cheese and crackers strong, or wolfing down a stinky Kebab with your bare hands while wobbling strong?

2 Likes

I get what you mean; I havenā€™t had dinner yet, but Iā€™m craving something fancy.
(ETA: looked in freezer; found pound of frozen scollops. So, cramming greasy, garlicky shellfish into face as soon as melted & briefly fried. Where does that fall on the strong scale?)

4 Likes

Favorably. Not Eating Pickled Herring out of the jar while watching red Dwarf strong with aa single used chopstick from takeout, but a big step above a free range chicken cutlet and rice pilaf.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve had four now, and Iā€™m listening to the Dwarves full tilt while my daughter complains. I might have a kebab after all.

3 Likes

I just finished another batch of sauerkraut (which turned out pretty decently, I must say), and the the black rubber gasket on the jar lid went kablooie. Four batches in! I have a version with silicone gasket coming next week:

Anyone used something like this? Iā€™m just hoping they last through more than 4 batches.

3 Likes

They usually last foreverā€¦ Meaning till you lose one.

Two thirds fill max on the jars, 74f or lower on the temp, and donā€™t jam airlocks in too tight.

You have graduated as a fermenter though. Youā€™ve had a kablooie :smile: (they are the war stories)

6 Likes

Oh yeah, I will admit to over-filling. Too much good stuff crammed into one jar! Iā€™ve had troubles with black rubber gaskets in the past (some essential oils break down the rubber, and it gets goopy or breaks apart like the fermenter lid one did), so I shouldā€™ve known to be a little more careful. At least I had a dish under the fermenting jar, so the entire cupboard didnā€™t get soaked with kraut juice!

Next batch will be fermented in two jars, because I ordered a 3-pack of the airlock lids. I also now own a set of ā€œpickle pebblesā€:

2 Likes

Maybe to tired. But:

The calvados story, probably boring, its only about apples, a lot, to many, not that good cider (say bad) , but alcohol, and some gear nobody have, me neither. But useful to make calvados. Also not that good, somehow not a real surprise, but a lot more strong, and not bad enough to ā€˜ignoreā€™. Maybe it needs some time to lay down. And the cider was old, from past year.

Also in most parts of Europe, using the not owning equipment is illegal. But distilling water is perfectly legal.
Making cider the same.

2 Likes

I also make cider, and am an amateur ā€˜apple enthusiastā€™. I have made beverages from single source, common apples but it never turns out great. It always seems you need a certain amount of crab apples, or high tannin low sugar apples to make something that ironically tastes more like an apple than an apple.

Oh, and restingon medium toast french oak imrpoves almost anything.

OK. So I have a big head of cabbage and enough jars, pickle pebbles and airlocks for 3 batches of kraut. I want to make one regular batch (just garlic), and one or two different batches, maybe something slightly spicy?

Q 1: Any suggestions? (nothing exotic because I can only use whatā€™s on hand, but I do have a decent variety in my spice jars)

Q 2: Anyone know what the little round seed thingies are in the packet on the right? Theyā€™re a reddish brown color. Both came with my original pickling jar, but neither was marked. Is it something I can use in my kraut?