Fifty Shades of Grey star hospitalized by contact with "life-threatening" toxic caterpillars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/24/fifty-shades-of-grey-star-hospitalized-with-life-threatening-toxic-caterpillars.html

5 Likes

We had gypsy moths in the 1980s on Long Island that were pretty toxic. They looks similar, but maybe this is just more so? They invaded and pretty soon so many trees had terrifying cocoons and green blooded hairy monsters.

6 Likes

It’s kind of weird to say the caterpillar is named after the protein – as is usually the case it’s the other way around. The moth’s name is Greek for wonder maker, from the same roots as in thaumaturge and poet, so presumably does not refer to the larval hairs at all.

6 Likes

I watched the first film and found it forgettable, but I really did enjoy him in The Fall. I’m glad he’s recovered. If he actually needed to recover…?

5 Likes

I get that it’s People Magazine, but the whole “one friend says he did and another friend says he didn’t” feels like they should both cancel each other out into a non-story. Conflicting thirdhand information does not make for good journalism. For getting clicks, however, whoo boy! :smiley:

9 Likes

There’s dozens of hairy/fuzzy/spiny caterpillars that can induce a rash, of varying degrees of severity, including the moth that’s been renamed to the spongy moth, or Lymantria if you want to go by the Latin. Some people are allergic, compounding the reaction.

1 Like

See! Golf is bad for your health!

11 Likes

240 bpm or no sale! 204 though, defs change shirts, SPF400 sari, etc! Nice as a reaction to thaumaturgin (pretty solid record for calling the MD when that 0 heart rate persists otherwise,) healthy d00d.

2 Likes

Stay clear of golf courses - got it.

7 Likes

I agree. I never saw those other movies; I just know him from The Fall and Belfast and whenever he’s on Graham Norton.

4 Likes

Edit: I’m glad he’s ok, although I’ve never seen or read FSoG. Also, John looks depressingly young and this clip appears to have started as they wrapped up presumably terrible news about Yemen. Almost a decade ago.

3 Likes

Do javelina eat these caterpillars? Because I have an idea…

4 Likes
2 Likes

People looking for a Jamie Dornan fix could do worse than the check out The Siege of Jadotville, a Netflix movie based on a true story, where a small group of Irish Peacekeepers were besieged by a much larger force of mercenaries during the Congo Crisis in the early 60s. It’s been praised as highly accurate to the actual events, including some of the surviving veterans of the battle

6 Likes

Great movie. The first time I heard Jason O’Mara with his natural accent.

2 Likes

I love it when I have a plan of action after visiting a BoingBoing thread. Adding this one to my watchlist.

Getting back to caterpillars: My Mom had an encounter with one of these devils a few years ago:

She says it was the worst pain she’s ever experienced. It still bothered her weeks later.

3 Likes

What is that devil?

Hear tell assassin bug bites hurt like all get out too.

Wheel-bug

4 Likes

I’m sorry, an Uber, not an ambulance?

3 Likes

With a name like “assassin bug,” I imagine so! :laughing:

My critter is a puss caterpillar - they look like tribbles, but you def don’t want to pet one:

6 Likes

Yes, it is known they are infested with some pretty toxic specimen.
images

9 Likes