Find out if you are a Twitter bot with Botometer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/13/find-out-if-you-are-a-twitter.html

4 Likes

I have been living a lie.

3 Likes

@beschizza

I’m gonna say their meter is not very good. Two accounts with names including BOT are not Bots.

4 Likes

Huh. My bot (which actually announces itself as being a bot) scored 28%.

Does that make @beschizza 10% bot?

4 Likes

From the linked website, requested permissions:

#NoThankYou

10 Likes

I got 44% but many of my tweets nowadays are really Instagram posts.

Standard API authorizations for Twitter, I’m afraid. I don’t think apps can use their API without being authorized.

1 Like

Good grief! What drugs did they give to poor Ollie?

1 Like

I think the only way they can be sure their score is accurate is to take over your account and turn it into a bot. 100% a bot, every time, guaranteed!

2 Likes

You can revoke authorization right after. It’s a good idea to go through the list of apps that have access to your account occasionally. I did that earlier this year and I think about half the things I had connected my Twitter account don’t exist any more.

1 Like

It’s a good idea to go through the list of apps that have access to your account occasionally.

Indeed. I just did this, after getting my 18% score (brag brag brag), and I was amazed how many other sites/apps had permission. Definitely another part of our digital lives that requires periodic cleaning.

2 Likes

You can cut it off after you’re done here: https://twitter.com/settings/applications

A great bookmark for periodic pruning of dead apps and the like too.

4 Likes

jeebus, i only rate a 20%, and i’m (as far as i know) a 100% meat-based, thinking human.

Rated my account as 25%. I don’t really use it other than to retweet dumbass shit for contests. Ok then

1 Like

“(Trump also scores 53%, oddly enough.)”

Sooo… not human?

Yeah, I basically run this stuff, look at the results, and then yank the authorization immediately thereafter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.