Find the other side of the world from anywhere in the world

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/06/find-the-other-side-of-the-wor.html

3 Likes

Good thing they got that vowelless “r” in there, so we can tell they’re as cool as Tumblr.

1 Like

The deep sea off New Zealand. I suppose I could build some kind of floating island for the endpoint of my perplanetary tunnel.

4 Likes

My exit wound in a foreign nation is…wet.
You win again, blue planet.

5 Likes

Comes in handy when making an earth sandwich.

5 Likes

You want to build a Gravitube?

http://www.jasperfforde.com/lostmusing2.html#grav

3 Likes

Spoilers. Geez.

5 Likes

There was this guy we used to sell to in Australia who would complain about shipping costs, and I finally said “you are on the exact opposite side of the planet, you are the absolute farthest away from us you could possibly be, so of course it’s expensive.”

Map says I was pretty close, so that’s something.

6 Likes

Ah, the Gravitube.

My greatest fear is that I’m one of the boring techies who are one of the disagreeable options to be seated next to that you have to choose.

2 Likes

Hawaii appears to be the only place in the US where the antipode is not the Indian Ocean.

2 Likes

It actually took a minute to find examples that didn’t end in water!

6 Likes

I just keep getting “Geocode was not successful for the following reason: OVER_QUERY_LIMIT” What am I missing or can you only search locations in the US?

Here’s hoping somebody will find the current location of Tracy Island

3 Likes

Likely the programmer’s Google account has a limited number of queries; being featured on BB (and possibly other sites like Fark, Reddit) has driven many people to try the site, eating up all the queries. I hope these are free queries…

2 Likes

Make a hole with a gun perpendicular
To the name of this town in a desk-top globe
Exit wound in a foreign nation
Showing the home of the one this was written for
My apartment looks upside down from there
Water spirals the wrong way out the sink
And her voice is a backwards record
It’s like a whirlpool and it never ends

3 Likes

I don’t want the world
I just want your half

Bogus. 4 different browsers, same result: Geocode was not successful for the following reason: OVER_QUERY_LIMIT

Wow! We used to have a device that would do this back in the 70s. It was called a “globe”:

I wonder what projection/map model they use.
Earth isn’t that spherical.

The idea goes all the way back to Robert Hooke.

One really fun aspect of it is that the trip takes roughly the same time, ~42 minutes, no matter which two points on Earth are connected because acceleration and deceleration is faster the more directly you head for the Earth’s center of gravity such that the longer trips work out to the same travel time.

In reality however, the Earth’s core is a dynamo of molten iron that rotates at a different rate than the outer layers, so you’d be limited to building around the core.

The dog’s breakfast of a movie that was the 2012 Total Recall reboot even featured one as a plot point, though it wasn’t done very well…

1 Like