Finding out that you're not the Rebel Alliance, you're actually part of the Empire and have been all along

Richard Dawkins, is that you?

Oh come now, don’t be so hard on yourself (and everyone else). Just because there is nothing new under the Sun, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t worth basking under. I’m simply pointing out that you’re not making a point that anyone disagrees with.

In as far as you’re accusing her of engaging in the practice of “trumping,” she’s pointing out that for every experience Aaronson points out, he is not exceptionally oppressed. That is the crux of his statement that people are taking issue with. He is denying the idea of privilege based on his limited individual experience. In reality, it is the plurality of individual experiences that define privilege. The article is providing a counterpoint and counterexamples. This is not the same as saying, “Your suffering doesn’t count because it’s less.” In fact, she fucking says as much.

2 Likes

I’m tired of reading this kind of idea repeated over and over. You are essentially saying, “I don’t disagree with you but you aren’t going to convince people by expressing yourself in that manner.”

If you know how to convince people of things then convince us. Show us your data. Where are your examples where you convinced people of things - not won arguments by having people walked away but had people on online message boards say, “Hey, you are right.”

Look at the history of big social changes and separate them into two categories: Ones that went forward because everyone was on board and ones that went forward despite the kicking and screaming of the establishment (or the killing of established powers). Is your idea that we need to communicate nicely to get people on board actually related to making any kind of change?

If the article discussed here doesn’t have enough empathy for someone then I don’t think empathy is going to work on that person. I just read it again. It’s extremely nice.

12 Likes

Where does she claim in her article that she understands that?

She’s arguing that privileged men are the ones who don’t understand something that they haven’t actually gone through.

I’m sorry for your loss, but if I’m reading the whole of your apparently heartfelt comment correctly, you’re saying that Laurie Penny should not have written her article in the first place? That it’s just more “solidarity breaking”?

It’s an article about how some with gendered privilege don’t understand how those without it suffer from that lack. How is that a breaking of solidarity, when most of those in the privileged gender aren’t expressing solidarity in the first place, and she’s explaining that failure?

How else do you recommend getting across that failure to those who are doing the failing?

And speaking of solidarity, what’s wrong with expressing it, as she does, with those who are suffering the effects of being objectifed, dismissed, marginalized, held back, and so on, by men who won’t treat them like full-fledged human beings simply because they’re women?

1 Like

The thing that needs to be kept in mind here, I think, is:

It’s not about you.

Too many times when discussions of patriarchy or privilege people seem to take the concepts personally. “I don’t have privilege because of x and/or y” is missing the point. Apologising for your privilege is missing the point.

All of us, especially here, is privileged. Laurie Penny is privileged. Perhaps you don’t tick all the boxes, but that does not diminish your advantage over many others. Across gender, sexuality, socioeconomics, education, access to tech, age, health, disability, where you were born, hell even looks. All of us have an easier time of it based on some (sometimes many) of those categories. The lottery ticket idea, but more than just economics.

And it’s not your fault. You are lucky, that’s all. But what conversations about this topic should be about, what Penny’s article is about, is being aware of your privilege. Being aware that there is a shit-ton of people who don’t get it as easy as you and, especially, diminishing someone’s lived experience with “oh, I don’t see how that could be a problem”.

5 Likes

Imagine a country populated by half Dorians and half Ionians with formally equal rights, but where the vast majority of property and businesses are owned by Dorians, a majority of politicians are Dorians, and so far every single leader had been a Dorian.

Is there really anyone who would object to saying that country is governed by Dorians, as the suffix -archy implies?

7 Likes

I’m more interested in supporting the viewpoint that Steven Brust is defending over here than I am in casting stones at Laurie Penny. I wish Ms. Penny and Mr. Aaronson all the best, and I hope they will in time come to agree with Mr. Brust’s thesis as much as I do.

1 Like

And this is where I think there’s a inherent problem. You can’t say that she’s saying he’s “not exceptionally oppressed” and then at the same time say she’s not saying his suffering doesn’t count because it’s less. “Not exceptionally oppressed” is in fact a comparative value. And while you may think (and she may think) that she’s not saying his suffering doesn’t count because it’s less, it seems to me that it very much reads that way - that she’s saying that it doesn’t count because he’s not female. And she managed to make his piece all about her, which if it were done the other way would be criticized as changing the subject, misdirection, or worse, mansplaining.

3 Likes

That’s not what she did at all. She is saying he suffered as a youth, but he wasn’t (and isn’t) structurally oppressed.

After all, he was still able to enter STEM with little trouble. That’s her point. His history blinds him to the way others are blocked from STEM.

7 Likes

That sounds about right. As I recall, one of the themes of the bullying I experienced was resentment at how I was a teacher’s pet, and otherwise singled out and granted privileges.

1 Like

So, women need to use language that men think we should use in order to be taken seriously.

5 Likes

And yet, he never said he was “structurally oppressed” So again, she’s (or you’ve) managed to turn the conversation to her definition of oppression, which is not only diffent in quantity but kind, again denying him the opportunity to talk about what he describes as a very personal experience.

1 Like

I’m more interested in supporting the viewpoint that Steven Brust is defending over here than I am in casting stones at Laurie Penny.

Sigh. That argument is shot through with problems that I’ve encountered many times before.

He argues, mainly, that when people fight for recognition and amelioration of abuse in terms of race and gender (problems he actually doesn’t seem even willing to admit ARE problems), they ignore what he sees as the bigger problem, that of social class; since race and gender have been used to divide most of us in terms of social class, when we fight in terms of the first two, we’re supposedly falling for a ruse set up for us by our economic puppet-string pullers.

What Brust is saying is a common thing for privileged white men to say. They’d be a lot less likely to say it if they weren’t privileged white men.

In that case, it would be easier for them to see that while race and gender are indeed divide-and-conquer tools used by economic elites, they don’t divide us equally. Women and people of color in general suffer additional burdens merely because they’re in those categories, including economic hardships (that is, class-related ones). And so, getting white men to acknowledge that can be a way of asking for your vaunted solidarity; why seek solidarity with someone who won’t acknowledge that the members of his group generally have better chances in life than members of yours, and further, that members of his group often abuse members of yours?

On top of all that, calls for a focus on class-based inequity INSTEAD OF inequity also caused by perception of race and gender difference ask us to be simple minded. They fail to recognize the human capacity to think about more than one thing at a time (or to think “intersectionally,” as academics sometimes put it).

tl;dr – Brust is another typical concerned white guy, several steps behind others in thinking about how societal oppression works, and about what to do about it. It’s really sad that you think he’s making better points than those made by Penny.

8 Likes

You’re saying that we need to focus on the “real” problem, which is what Brust is saying. But sexism and racism are as real as classism. They are all bound up together.

No, she is not. She’s explaining how he can both have been abused and bullied yet still enjoy some privilege that she did not. If you askd her, I’d suspect she’d heartily agree that she receives privilege for being white and cis-gendered. Bacially, what you’re saying is that pointing out how one’s struggles are different from someone else’s is not allowed.

I think, whether meaning to or not, you and (at least Brust) has. Brust at least was saying that sexism and racism are not real, but they indeed are real, at least in their effects on real people.

My heart goes out to you. Maybe race and gender did not play a role in your friend’s death. But guess what, sometimes how race and gender impact people in this world does lead to that place where they can think the only way out is death… wasn’t there a story posted on here about a young transgendered woman who did just that this week, because her own parents couldn’t love and accept her as she was.

Acknowledging that white, straight men are considered the default humanity does not mean that all white straight men have it easy. We can talk about that, no one is saying otherwise. But we have oceans of art, literature, and philosophy that we all read, hear, or talk about all the time, the canon of modern western civilization that speaks to that suffering. What POC, LGBQT people, and women want here is an acknowledgement that our struggles, which are distinct because of the structures of our society, are worth reading within that canon, that we shaped the world as much as men, that we worked as hard, and are just as sympathetic and human as white, straight men. While you might not be specifically doing that, and I do think you are full of good intentions and care, when issues of race, sexuality, and gender come up, and we start to speak on these topics, we’d very much like to be heard, understood, and acknowledged.

No one is saying “pay women more”, “let me be sex objects” or “treat young white men the same as young black men”, we are saying pay us to the same, stop seeing us as receptacles for sex, and stop killing young black men. The only thing this has to do with white men is for them to support us in getting these things done politically. If you think paying a woman the same as a man is someone detrimental to you, that’s your problem, I’d think. If you think fixing the broken cirminal justice system is unfair… well…

You got to describe the problem before you fix them, I’d argue. We need to have discussions about what is wrong before we can fix it. You wouldn’t just start tearing down an engine before you diagnosed the problem, would you? No, right? You’d do some diagnostics, and if you and your friend helping you would come to some sort of consensus on what the problem was before you start taking the engine out of your car, right? Same here. I think most Americans agree we have problems. but not everyone agrees on what the problem is. We can’t move forward until we all understand what is making that stupid noise that’s irritating us all…

No one is suggesting that.

Not at all. I do think sometimes you miss other’s point, but we all do that at times…

6 Likes

Well, since that’s not what he said, I can only image how much willpower was involved in so entirely missing his point. Maybe none.

You could accuse me of it, and it wouldn’t make me defensive. But that’s because I know I do not.

How can you even consider what such an accusation means to other people, when you yourself claim ignorance of what the terms even really mean?

How much will goes into such misunderstanding? Again, maybe none.

I think he agrees that they are problems, but he thinks that race and gender are constructs, and therefore not “real” in the way that class is real… ignoring that class is a construct too. He’s pulling out the old hardline communist view, that since race and gender are only tools of the capitalist oppressor, you do away with the capitalist system, you do away with them. It was a big point of contention between Lenin and Alexandra Kollantai. Lenin argued that the communist system would naturally free women, while Kollantai argued that women were a class who had shared oppression across economic class.

Yes!

2 Likes

So, I should sit down, shut up, and let a MAN tell me how to talk?

3 Likes

For succinctness and clarity: no. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve read Kollantai, but this doesn’t right to me. A big shortcoming of Lenin’s was that he treated a lot of issues of gender as frivolous, including issues of sexuality that Kollantai would raise; however, it seems out of character for him to argue that communism would “naturally” free anyone. Kollantai was generally pretty merciless in her critiques of bourgeois feminism, and argued against cross-class organizing.

How does that follow? Being shown how you are blind to the privilege you have does in no way diminish your experience of bullying. If anything, it should help you to understand that privilege and how it affects others who do not have it.

Why must it be a zero-sum game?

3 Likes