šŸ”« Firearms: Everything you wanted to know (and the opportunity to ask if you don't)

I get that. Intrusive thoughts. Theyā€™re not nice.

I have fired a rifle in the past (though, Iā€™ll admit, not particularly well). But yes, I wouldnā€™t say I ā€œuseā€ one in the present tense.

I donā€™t see how. Emotional needs, yes, those are subjective. But ā€œThis is something I need to do my jobā€ or ā€œto stay aliveā€ or ā€œto hunt dinnerā€ are pretty cut-and-dry. When I need something unusual (access, training, resources) at work, I need to write up a business case why I need whatever-it-is to do my job. I would hope that is being evaluated objectively.

Letā€™s split things into ā€œpotentially harmful to othersā€ and ā€œharmlessā€ for the moment.

For ā€œharmlessā€ things, then yes. No one should be able to stop me from owning or doing what I like, as long as Iā€™m only posing a risk to myself or my own property.

Once I start risking other peopleā€™s lives or property, ā€œneedā€ indeed should be the criteria that determines whether I get it.

In computer security, thereā€™s something called the Principle of Least Privilege. That is, you are given exactly the access you need to do your job, and not a whisker more. If you need access to one file that you donā€™t have, you put in a request, and youā€™re given access to that file, but not the other files in that directory. This limits the amount of damage people can do, either accidentally or maliciously.

The same thing should apply to meatspace, and, in some places, it does. If Iā€™m a epidemiologist, and want to do research on [insert dangerous pathogen here], I need to show that I need access to that pathogen, and probably do a whole bunch of leg work on my study, before Iā€™m given access to it.

Iā€™m a strong believer in the idea that every right and every privilege come with a corresponding responsibility attached. If Iā€™m given the access to edit the payroll file, I have the privilege to do so, but I also have the responsibility to only do so when my job demands it of me, and to only make the changes that are part of doing my job. I donā€™t use that privilege to screw with someone elseā€™s paycheck, or boost my own: such a thing will, and should, get me fired. If my job doesnā€™t include a responsibility to make use of that access, I shouldnā€™t have that access.

I believe both alcohol and tobacco, in any rational world, should be Scheduled substances. However, since alcohol is so easy to make, and prohibition is much more harmful than the harms it tries to prevent, I will concede, for now, at least, that it needs to be freely available. As for tobacco, I think weā€™re slowly winning that war.

I conceded that, didnā€™t I? My own irrationality is part of whatā€™s driving my fear.

Avoid who? The person who is going to attack me in the future? How, short of precognition, do you suggest that? Or do you suggest avoiding anyone I know? Or anyone who owns a gun? That last one would seem to run counter to your point that most people with guns arenā€™t dangerous. I honestly donā€™t know what you mean by ā€œsomeone like that.ā€

Anyway, my point is basically one about numbers, about which, weā€™re basically saying the same thing. Youā€™re saying, ā€œIf eighty million people own guns, and only a fraction of one percent are dangerous, then most of them arenā€™t dangerous!ā€ Iā€™m saying, ā€œMost people arenā€™t dangerous, but if you give eighty million people guns, youā€™re going to give a few to dangerous people.ā€

2 Likes