Fired by an algorithm, and no one can figure out why

We were already there with the secret no-fly list you can’t see or appeal from.

2 Likes

I kind of wish the offending company had been named. If only so people could avoid working for them.

2 Likes

Blessed be the Trek geeks, for they shall correct the Earth.

Welcome to BBS!

8 Likes

We are forgetting something: maybe he had a bulshit job?

3 Likes

Satrean or Sartrean? I’m thinking Sartrean was the intended adjective.

2 Likes

s1CXwB2

12 Likes

This automation is part of Identity Management software that large companies deploy. It automates permissions, access, payroll access, etc. and when designed and deployed correctly is a great benefit to making sure that all process are consistent and people don’t get left with access when they leave, or don’t get the correct access when they are hired.

Of course, properly designed and deployed systems (like I used to design and deploy) have all kinds of approval steps and review notices, and clear instructions on impacts of these approvals. If the system truly was designed to require another laid off employee to tick a box to confirm his/her contractor was still employed that is a huge fail.

But this is not some nightmarish anomaly - these systems are standard in most large companies

7 Likes

Targeted by a drone attack, and no one can figure out why.

8 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft did that with a lot of their contractors- they contracted an employee to work for one day less than a full year, then let them go, and then contracted with the same person two days later for another period of one day less than a year. Something about having to avoid bringing them on as an actual employee, paying benefits, retirement plans, etc.

It’s a terrible practice.

14 Likes

But Sartre said hell is other people, not their absence.

2 Likes
"...until they got to the bottom of things: Ibrahim's direct manager had been laid off and sent to work from home during a transitional period. His ex-boss basically stopped doing anything..."

That makes no sense. Being “laid off” specifically means the employer has no more work for you to do, so how was his boss “laid off and sent to work from home,” exactly?

1 Like

6 Likes

You might buy a ticket, but would you be admitted to the theatre?

2 Likes

A photo of the affected worker has just been released:

office-space_320%5B1%5D

13 Likes

When I worked at ComputerLand Corporate Headquarters, they would go through rounds of laying off employees to cut costs. But then they would hire back those employees as temps, because the work had to get done. The temps knew their jobs were more secure than those of “permanent” employees.

4 Likes

Nah couldn’t be him as the building wasn’t burnt down.

2 Likes

Now let’s hope security will care about that

Sh, how we manage our taxes and employment statistics is none of your goddn business, workerslave.

1 Like

Oh man, I miss that show.

1 Like