Fired by an algorithm, and no one can figure out why

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/the-computer-says-youre-dead.html

8 Likes

CRUSHER, you fool. Dr. CRUSHER was the one who was left alone in the static warp shell in “Remember Me”, not Picard! He disappeared with everyone else!

41 Likes

What a nightmare.

12 Likes

I would buy a ticket to see this dystopian movie.

10 Likes

This is like a Better Off Ted episode. O_o

11 Likes

This sort of mix up never happened back in the day before computers:

Sorry - can’t find the exact scene where the typo occurs

Also my dad was once fired when his manager above him was let go due to ownership changing hands or new manager above him… something like that. The whole 1980s recession suckage started shortly after that :confused:

29 Likes

We all already have. We already have.

sigh…

9 Likes

I guess it’s an algorithm in the strictest sense, but in the popular parlance it’s more of a script. In a company that has a large number of contractors it makes sense to automate the hiring and firing process. The real problem here was having the guy who got laid off maintain anything. Tell someone “go home, you don’t really work here anymore” and you’ll get what you ask for.

17 Likes

No thanks, I am already living in it.

17 Likes

Roger That!

10 Likes

And in Gibson’s and Sterling’s The Difference Engine had this to say about the databases the Victorian government were keeping (remember that this was alt-history where they had Babbage engines equivalent to mid 1960s mainframes):

All day starin’ at little holes. No mistakes, either! Hit a key-punch wrong and it’s all the difference between a clergyman and an arsonist. Many’s the poor innocent bastard ruined like that….

17 Likes

That’s right up there with your bank declaring you dead.

2 Likes

30 Likes

The best SF show that didn’t know it was an SF show.

4 Likes

I think that it’s instructional that the ultimate root cause of this was his immediate supervisor being involuntarily converted to a contract employee.

There’s no reason why companies should have contracts longer than a year. Otherwise just hire the person. It’s a scam and a dodge.

17 Likes

Hah! I was going to say, it could have been worse:

ETA: Re-watching this clip makes me realize how much closer we are to this reality. Just make the Buttles Hispanic, place them a few steps just inside our border, and put all of them in bags.

10 Likes

Now, cross this story with the thousands of children in cages in the desert - the one nobody is bothering to document.

6 Likes

When you’re on life support and AI pulls the plug.

Sounds to me like they simply fixed the glitch.

5 Likes

Yup. A whole episode about gaslighting!