First look at Denis Villeneuve's Dune movie

:smiley: I was actually referring to the pic that commenter blaeceorcanstan had posted;

As for the real Chalamet; he has that adolescent coltish quality, so he can probably easily play younger than he is.

2 Likes

Eno did a masterful job (as usual) (assuming that you like Brian Eno’s stuff in the first place) on his one track for the 1984 film Lynch directed. Eno’s track succeeded wildly [IMO] in creating a really atmospheric, evocative, otherly mood. Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Roger Eno together were responsible for this:

So Brian Eno, if you’re reading this, thanks and good on ya!

Lord only knows.

I can’t imagine the film’s ecosystem with all the outsized personalities (Dino de Laurentis fer christsake and David Lynch, not to mention then dealing with all the actors’ personalities added into the mix during production). When I searched “why Toto for Dune movie soundtrack” I ended up reading this:

Ye gods.

Well, de gustibus non est disputandum I suppose.
Perhaps the answer lies buried in this post from many moons ago, on bOING:

And it’s fun and enjoyable (it’s not really a “making of…” docu but better than nothing). It doesn’t clear up some of my unanswered questions / legit complaints about Lynch’s regrettable interpretation of Frank Herbert’s book.

Yes… and…

• that damn cat the Harkonnens gave to Thufir Hawat, who was supposed to milk it every day for the antidote to Hawat’s latent poison (not in the book)

• the Baron’s showering in motor oil (not in the book)

• the Baron’s uh “skin problems” and his doctor (not in the book)

• ad nauseam, ad infinitum, ad astra

David Lynch’s world-building list is long, ambitious, completely departing from the book, gratuitous–not in service to the story–and finally is more about Lynch’s proclivities than about Dune or Herbert. :roll_eyes:

Villeneueve’s got nowhere to go but up, really.
Some of my beefs are well-explained here:

(the Tor article references this Atlantic article fwiw)

3 Likes

To be fair he’s not wrong about Eno having a talent for getting the press even when his contribution to something is marginal…

That Sean Young film really made me appreciate just how much talent was squandered on that film.
and I stayed for the autiolay of Patrick Stewart talking about Sting.

1 Like

That’s the word.
Criminally squandered.

Such a waste.

And so it goes…

Looks like Lynch hates science fiction so he made his idea of a science fiction movie,

1 Like

Especially since one of the important parts about the latent poison was that Hawat was not meant to know he had been poisoned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.