First stamp designed by Alaskan indigenous artist, showing Raven stealing the sun

Originally published at: First stamp designed by Alaskan indigenous artist, showing Raven stealing the sun | Boing Boing

26 Likes

I still write hand written letters, don’t get many in return, but I like these stamps.

21 Likes

I still write letters too, & send art through the mail. I like these & the Ruth Asawa stamps.

18 Likes

Great design!

10 Likes

Those are great, I hadn’t seen those!
Before these, the bioluminescent sea life were my favorite design from the last few years:

18 Likes

I hope they get follow-through. I should like Raven Contemplates Eldritch Garfield, Raven Tries Its Republican-sona, Raven Save Icon, Raven Banishes Australian News Links maybe, Raven Gets Into Sprouting maybe, Raven Shorts Planetoids, Raven Protects Foreign Press…

6 Likes

Canada Post’s 1990 Raven stamp, “Children of the Raven”, by Bill Reid, based on a Haida origin story.

20 Likes

It still amazes me (although it really shouldn’t) how in some ways traditional Inuit art resembles that of Mayan and Incan.

8 Likes

Seems appropriate symbolically, given how many lost and delayed USPS items I’ve been dealing with as of late.

5 Likes

Did the stamps actually glow after being exposed to light?

I’ve had a lot of fun in the past couple of years with things like the lenticular hologram stamps, and the eclipse stamp with a thermochromic ink.

4 Likes

This stamp is more typical of Inuit art, the Raven stamp is more associated with West Coast Natives like the Tlingit, Haisla, etc.

15 Likes

No, at least I don’t think so. I thought I still had some, but just looked and they’re all gone.
But they seemed to glow because of how they were printed onto a sort of satiny black field. Very pretty. I saved them for letters to people I liked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will always always upvote Bill Reid pieces

4 Likes

We’ve got the Gerald McDermott version in regular circulation at our house (along with Zomo and Jabuti) and while Mcdermott’s versions come well-cited and in context, I was just today making a mental note to look up other versions, close to the cultural source. What a cool happenstance!

7 Likes

If your kid(s) like that McDermott book, you should try this one:
9780152019587_lres

GirlChild has outgrown it a bit, but we often still use the phrase “And the Crows were no longer having fun…” when the little one is being a bit Coyote-ish and is digging herself a little deep.

9 Likes

Every time we read any of the ones we have (on “long term” loan from the library…until post-pandemic book returns start up again!) my daughters always say “I wish we could get Coyote!” It’s one of very few our library just doesn’t carry, and that’s the whole extended NYC library system! We watched someone read Papagayo on youtube. I should just spring for a set. I really like them even just as art pieces.

That particular phrase sounds like it would be super helpful with our 3 and 5 yo…

5 Likes

Beautiful. I went several books of pretty stamps letter-writing during the campaign, and had fun picking through recent designs. Don’t have a lot of purpose for stamps right now unless I can convince my kids to make pen-pals.

Random question: Forever stamps (and all stamps) never look like they’re particularly more complicated to print than good-quality kid’s stickers. I’m amazed that they don’t get forged all the time. Do they have some secrets in them that are only visible under UV light or something?

5 Likes

On the subject:

13 Likes

might be of interest

7 Likes

What does “Forever USA” with the forever crossed out mean?

2 Likes