First trailer for the David Bowie biopic, Stardust

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/29/first-trailer-for-the-david-bowie-biopic-stardust.html

1 Like

It’s like a jolt, realizing that a Bowie movie is not possible unless the casting captures his facial morphology at least as well as Jonathan Rhys Meyers did. The gauntness, the alarming reptilian smile, etc. This actor obviously has put in the work, but Bowie was so distinctive and that distinctiveness is so important to the performance of Bowie.

15 Likes

It’s weird seeing Marc Maron without a mustache. I honestly only recognised him by his voice

3 Likes

No original songs, but maybe the fact that this is an unsanctioned biopic might mean it eschews hagiography and acknowledges how Bowie, you know, raped a minor.

3 Likes

I’d go see this on the merits, but this trailer reminds me that by the beard of Zeus I hate trailers.

1 Like

If it ain’t got Tilda Swinton in it, I ain’t watchin’. So there.

5 Likes

well, Velvet Goldmine didn’t have any Bowie in it, either, and that ended up being a great movie.

3 Likes

Um… what? i R confuzed.

1 Like

Tilda Swinton as David Bowie. You just blew my mind. It’s like Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan !

7 Likes

If she can sing at all, somebody has to make this movie.

5 Likes

well, i meant bowie MUSIC, but that’s my point – they can definitely do bowie without bowie music.

2 Likes

OH! That makes sense! Thanks!

The one time I saw Bowie was at the health food store in Woodstock. He was at the checkout in front of me and I swear to dog I recognized him simply by the back of his head. Quite distinct.

1 Like

I mean, officially he was playing a character named Brian Slade, but yeah, it was Bowie in every other way.

2 Likes

until they got the makeup on him I had no idea who the hell this was supposed to be about. Just a horrible actor choice.

Art imitates life imitating… some different art.

2 Likes

Just like every other 60s, 70s and probably 80s rock star. So gross

Didn’t the movie smoosh Iggy Pop and Lou Reed together into the same character?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.