Five kids got lost (and then found) exploring New York City's sewer system

Current-day France offers guided tours.

5 Likes

Next you’ll be saying they didn’t meet this guy

13 Likes

There’s a knitting/other crafts shop in my town.

Having read your post I am beginning to suspect this endless line of little old ladies are not really knitters, but spelunkers.

Some of the residents find them charming rather than ‘disturbing and intrusive’, despite the number of crimes they have solved.

I am wary of anyone combining two hobbies in this fashion.

I should never have moved to Cabot Cave.

5 Likes

Yeah. I explored the sewer back in brand spanking new Highlands Ranch Colorado at the time. Lifting up the final manhole cover is like nothing else. I even got my dad to come “explore” it. Sure you had to make sure no thunderstorms were coming in. But great fun.

7 Likes

Speaking of shit can you imagine the amount of it they’re gonna catch when they go back to school on Monday. If I was a parent of one of these little dopes, I’d secretly be proud of them for such a stunt. The kids are alright!

5 Likes

Beware the sacrilege!

2 Likes

In Melbourne in the 80’s and 90’s we had the Cave Clan for these sorts of adventures. They induced a lot of hand wringing and pearl clutching.

6 Likes

Wow! I was visiting Littleton during new construction, having went on a family summer to visit friends there. Great exploration fun!

2 Likes

One of my partners pointed out that they probably hadn’t learned about Theseus yet. I acknowledge that, but still maintain that bringing along chalk to mark your passage isn’t exactly complex thinking. Of course they also left their backpacks at the entrance, so they’re probably not really destined to reach second level.

(Where’s your 10’ pole? Which one of you is the rogue? Who’s got the light source? Where are your iron rations? Gah. Kids these days!)

9 Likes

To be fair, they are level 0 adventurers. If they survive exploring the sewers one more time they’ll make it to level 1.

5 Likes

Yeah, OK, I can buy that one. I’ve run similar games, usually at a convention or something like that, with no serious combat encounters. Alright kids, after you’ve served your year or two of being grounded, try a short wilderness adventure (“Lost, Starving, and Itchy in the Grand Forest”) then you can continue on into 1st level adventuring.

6 Likes

Lost, Starving, and Itchy in the Grand Forest

Sounds like my first camping trip with my dad… :thinking:

6 Likes

One of the benefits of growing up in rural PA is that we never realized until we were much older that “playing in the creek” was actually the city equivalent of “exploring the sewers.”

6 Likes

Some cities have a separate storm runoff from their sewers… NYC isn’t one of those. I grew up across the street from a baseball field that was between the entrance to Riker’s and LaGuardia airport, and there were two 8 foot outlets for this system on either side running into ravines that led to Long Island Sound. We were pretty adventurous but there was nothing that could have made us go into those with all of the rats and waterbugs (a largish form of flying roach) and the slightly green output into Bowery Bay… .when I was a kid someone dropped a M80 into one of the road storm grates and a flood of roaches came out.

4 Likes

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.