Fixing the common mistakes most beginner cooks make

I agree 99% of the time. But there’s this 1% of the time that I actually crave canned string beans. Even worse: I get cravings for canned string beans, canned mushroom soup, spread over noodles, and topped with those fried onion bits (optional: mix in a can of tunafish). Must be some kind of weird nostalgic comfort food thing. Okay, as a foodie, I’m embarrassed I even just wrote that.

This is very important I found for good cuts of meat. Letting a top sirloin or t-bone come up to room temperature was the missing piece for acceptable pan-fried steaks for me. Also if you’re going to use a hotter pan (recommended), you’ve got to flip the meat quite often.

Oh, and also, don’t overcrowd your pan with meat, otherwise it will boil in its juices instead of brown.

When I was a kid, for some reason I watched cooking shows. The French Chef, Yan Can Cook, and a few others. I never actually cooked much until I got married, but I knew all the terminologies and basic techniques, which although they took a bit of practice, were never intimidating thanks to my earlier education.

Or the right tool – years ago I somehow acquired a Williams-Sonoma all nylon spatula which is hands down one of my favorite and essential tools (along with my professional quality kitchen tongs). It’s perfectly curved to gently slip under an egg and then flip it. I tried finding a replacement just to have two of them, but they no longer make them.

By the same token and I think this mostly pertains to large quantities of stir-fried veggies: don’t add salt (or briny or acidic liquids: soy sauce, fish sauce, lemon juice, vinegar etc.) until the end of cooking, otherwise you’ll end up with lots of water in the pan, and the veggies will boil and then overcook (you can remedy this by draining off the water, but that’s an extra step and you won’t get the right texture.

Well there went my theory.

3 Likes

Watch this series of videos:

They’re based on Julia’s massive cookbook from the 80s. I love the simplicity and variability of her recipes here. It’s a modern simple take on French style cooking.

Also, learn how to plan meals and grocery shop!

1 Like

0. There is no such thing as too much garlic.

15 Likes

Buy a good knife and keep it sharp!

Also, garlic is yummy when lightly browned.

I freeze home-made chicken stock in ice cube trays then add it to things piecemeal.

Alton Brown had an entertaining science-y food show called Good Eats, mb available on the interwebs? The classics like Jacques, Julia or Yan are also good edumakashunal shows. Rachel Ray is a bit more practical, workaday. Early Japanese Iron Chef is wild, very strange. The US version is all glitzed out (and Alton… really?)

4 Likes

I’d add:
0. Read the recipe. All the way through. Before you do anything else.

12 Likes

That’s why God made bacon.

1 Like

A tip that was overlooked: use the right tool for the job.

My wife is horrible about using the most improper tool for the type of cooking she’s doing. She’ll use a huge slotted serving spoon for mixing stuff in a tiny bowl, or a puny rubber spatula for frying eggs - basically she reaches in the drawer and grabs whatever is closest without thinking if it’s going to work or not. She also uses a tiny paring knife for just about all her cutting and chopping even though we have an entire set of very expensive chef knives. Drives me crazy to watch this so I have to step away.

It’s like using the handle of a screwdriver to pound a nail. It might work if you’re desperate but it’s just not the right tool.

5 Likes

It’s way better to use the handle of a drill or impact driver, they have more mass.

12 Likes

I enjoy eggs and egg involved stuff (quiche, casserole things etc). However I hate runny eggs and will never cook them for anyone because of it. Mostly everyone insists they be exceptionally wet, squishy or runny for my taste and now I refuse. I do order them from time to time and it’s usually ok.

4 Likes

That’s some damn fancy kitchen scale you have there.

1 Like

Another really good habit to get into when just starting out: wash stuff as you go.

Grabbed a knife & chopped an onion? Rinse & dry that knife right away before moving on.

Mixed some stuff in a bowl? While that stuff is getting up to temp on the stove, wash the bowl.

Ending up with a sink-ful of dirty bowls and knives and pots after cooking dinner is something nobody wants to deal with after eating and it discourages people from wanting to cook.

15 Likes

Or frozen bags.
I get that when we were kids my mom had to make a dollar stretch a lot. We also got powdered milk, but I digress.
I loathed microwaved vegetables and she never stopped buying them. Money has been no object for a long time. This is CA, fresh good vegetables are available locally year round. I’ve tried to complain when going there for dinner and she breaks out the frozen green beans. Bleh.
The irony - they love going out to good dinners and are otherwise total foodie/winos.
They’re moving closer soon, I’m going to make her go to the farmers market every week.

4 Likes

I’ve made most of these mistakes! The thread on this article is also very interesting.

2 Likes

That’s a fine line one walks between yummy, and awful when the garlic burns! One I still struggle with the timing of.

4 Likes

The one exception: peas!

Peas are frozen right after being shelled, and freeze very well. Unless you’re buying at a farm, fresh peas will nearly always be older and lower quality than frozen peas in a bag.

8 Likes

That is correct. Also noted by Alton Brown. That, sweet corn and pearl onions are the only ones he deemed acceptable.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Somehow it seems like my relatives can create a massive mess, leaving behind 30 dirty dishes, half a dozen condiments out of the fridge, along with piles of silverware just when making toast. But when I cook, the kitchen ends up cleaner than when I began. I don’t really understand it, but what else are you going to do while waiting for things to heat up?

4 Likes

Well, tomatoes are fruits anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does she also insist that the knife must not be sharp, for safety? Then she might be a bigamist.

2 Likes

Counterpoint: frozen diced onions.
Onions are way too much of a pain in the ass to cut up for negligible difference. I sliced the tip of one fingers off once cutting the bastards up, so I’m a little biased.

4 Likes