Man learns uncomfortable lesson after undercooked shiitake meal

Originally published at: Man learns uncomfortable lesson after undercooked shiitake meal | Boing Boing

7 Likes

IMO, you really want to cook most mushrooms thoroughly, simply because they usually taste best that way.

8 Likes

Grubb’s disease, eh?

8 Likes

In the spectrum of mushrooms, it’s really the exception for a variety to be acceptable for raw consumption. The great majority must be cooked. Usually you’re just avoiding GI issues but some other odd reactions, like described in the story, are also possible.

6 Likes

Am I the only one disappointed that the ailment was a rash and not diarrhea?

What a missed opportunity for “shit-take” puns.

8 Likes

Relieved to find that “Man learns uncomfortable lesson after undercooked shiitake meal”… was not what i thought it would be. poor guy tho. nothing like a huge skin rash to make life fun.

6 Likes

who knew “shiitake shingles” was a thing?! owie!

7 Likes

Damn. I just thought I was allergic to them, and have been avoiding them for the past thirty or more years. Looks like I need to give them another try.

8 Likes

Maybe cook them well this time? :wink:

Snark aside, it’s not uncommon for people to have allergy-like reactions to certain mushrooms (and not others). Have a very small quantity the first time. If that works, then increase intake progressively.

5 Likes

Legends say they need to blanche for at least 10 seconds. Alas, I am not such a kitchen legend and require like 4 minutes to blanche things.

3 Likes

Most people can eat raw shiitake, but enough people have this problem that it’s recommended that they really should be cooked. I’ve certainly seen dried, raw shiitake snacks sold in various grocery stores.

1 Like

Oh, cool, I’ll start off with something small, like half a cap, and then build up from there. :+1:

“death angels”?!

might want to start slow. maybe small doses of iocaine powder to build up your tolerance.

7 Likes

I don’t recommend eating even the common grocery store mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, raw. Not only is it unappetizing and you won’t be able to digest it (fungus cell walls are made of chitin), but it contains agaritine, a potential mild carcinogen that easily cooks off.

3 Likes

Even if you’re the apex predator, soon or later, fungi will dine on you.

5 Likes

Holy crap!
I hope this is an allergy that only affects a few.
I just binge watched ‘The Last of Us’ an knew this was coming!

3 Likes

Undercooked mushrooms produced a nasty back-to-butt rash? Well, shit… ucky! 0_o

3 Likes

I’ve seen it raw in a “salad bar,” but never had any interest in adding it to my individualized veggie combo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.