Fixing the common mistakes most beginner cooks make

Those look more like scrambled than omelettes.

My housemate loves to cook, but somehow even frying some eggs and bacon results in multiple bowls, spatulas, knives, frying pans, whisks, measuring cups, and cutting boards filling the sink – everything gets used once and tossed aside. I end up cooking instead just to avoid the mess!

Um, right. Sure- It’s for measuring ingredients. That’s it. Like, for cooking.

Absolutely nothing else I’d have on hand that’s measured by the gram. Nosiree bob. I just do a lot of really precision cooking.

2 Likes

Know your oils! Know what they taste like, their viscosity, and how they handle cooking temperatures. So many people I have met rely upon “vegetable oil” for everything. Some oils I like, such as grapeseed and walnut, are a bit too pricey for my broke ass to keep on hand. My big three tend to be olive, peanut, and coconut. If I need an oil for adding some strong flavor I use sesame or sometimes mustard oil.

Making your own condiments, masalas, and spice blends is definitely worth the “trouble” for things you love and/or make often. The varieties that glut the store shelves offer convenience and dilution. But trying some ketchup with minimal sugar or mayonnaise with olive oil is definitely worthwhile. Getting good spices, roasting, and blending them is often a complete contrast. I shudder to think that I used to buy jars of random “curry powder”…

It’s not as general as the above two, but if you are using a flour or starch to thicken something into a gravy or custard - mix it in while everything is just starting to warm. Those powders do not disperse well when they are simultaneously gelling in boiling liquid. To my surprise, I have read a lot of recipes which recommend waiting until the stuff is already hot or boiling to do this.

4 Likes

That’s one where I use canned. I love Le Seuer peas.

1 Like

Oh I’ve known that for years. But like I said, incapable of poaching eggs the usual way. Never seems to work for me. So I just use the circulator and do it in the shell. Not like I bought the thing to poach eggs. But its a hell of a lot easier since I already have the thing.

Seeing as I can’t share this in the cooking thread, I’ll share it here. Nice little kickstarter for making vegetables more interesting to children.

Sounds like cheating…

Therefore I will definitely do that in future :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure they even count as that…

Don’t keep your eggs in the fridge in the first place (unless you are in the US or Sweden where they wash the eggs and damage the surface).

Dirty eggs stay out of the fridge. Check.

1 Like

I am, but sometimes I get lucky and a local farmer sells eggs at the farm market.

Eat, shoot and leave…

2 Likes

Alright, let’s start with the fundamentals…

Yes, but Black Magic has so many other applications as well, so while it feels like overkill to learn it to cook your eggs, you end up with a really valuable and broadly applicable skill set for other tasks!

3 Likes

Yup, cock up the food, break out the Black Magic.

1 Like

The eggs I buy in Europe are clean but not washed in detergent which stood three protective surface from them.

Are they exempt from the USDA rules that make the other suppliers wash the eggs? Or have I misinterpreted what I read somewhere about the US rules? (I’m British living in Norway)

Re: Primitive Technology, that drill with the pump and the stone weight is fancy stuff compared with the hand drill he normally uses.

Someday I’ll have to try making a friction fire. Sure does look like a lot of work, though.