Flag reporting

Thanks for clarifying

2 Likes

Hmm, no, that will also clear the flag. Defer in the sense of “do not assign positive or negative weight to these flaggers future flag actions.”

If you really want to do nothing with the flag, you have to leave it active.

This was incorrect, see my post below.

1 Like

Are you sure? Because when I defer a flag, it remains on the post.

Visible only as history, not as an active flag. You can verify by looking in the “old” tab on flags, you’ll see it is now an old and handled flag.

The system really isn’t built for “leave a whole bunch of flags active just in case they reach the threshold”, if you did that you’d get to stare down a large number in a red circle for days or weeks…

This is incorrect, see my response below.

3 Likes

Well, crap.

Sorry, folks! Guess I can’t leave it in your hands like I thought I could!

2 Likes

Software often behaves as only the coder believed it should, and lacking granular documentation yields a lot of urban legend style beliefs.

We are blessed to have the developer here.

9 Likes

So “defer” means both “remove this flag” and “don’t impact the flagger”?

That seems like a bit of a stretch for a word that usually means “put off to a later time”. Maybe something along the lines of “revoke”, “annul”, or “rescind” would cover it better? Or maybe “clear”?

1 Like

Seconded!

3 Likes

OK! I just tested this and I was wrong.

• Signed up for 3 accounts on https://try.discourse.org (accounts default to trust level 1 here which is required for flagging)
  • Flagged post X with account #1
  • Flagged post X with account #2
  • Moderator deferred those two flags with Defer action
  • Flagged post X with account #3

At this point post X reached the threshold and was hidden.

So I apologize, I was incorrect when I said the previous flags were cleared, they are not – they’re still hanging out and active, as my test proved. Sorry about that @orenwolf. So you can indeed defer and still get the desired behavior, if enough community members flag.

5 Likes

Woot! That’s great news (and frankly, I think a useful feature for “borderline” comments).

Thank you for taking the time to check all that out!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Please note, when you flag a post to threshold and that post gets hidden, and then unhidden by the author editing it as requested … the people who flagged the post are now notified that this edit happened.

It always bugged me that this didn’t occur. Now finally it does!

4 Likes