Flat earth-preaching rocketeer finally gets off the ground

If the earth were flat, cats would have knocked everything off the edge long ago

cat-fuck-this-fuck-that

25 Likes

[Citation needed]

(As near as I can tell, flat Earth has been a fringe theory for millennia.)

7 Likes

That one isn’t actually as surprising. For quite a few terrestrial and near-terrestrial purposes you can get the job done just fine by assuming straight Newtonian mechanics on a surface that is basically planar unless there are any hills or holes nearby. If the job involves celestial navigation you can even get away with a geocentric solar system as a good-enough-that-your-other-errors-will-get-you-first model.

If you want to fly without tipping your hat to Bernoulli or rocket on purely Aristotelian physics you had better be…robustly empirical…and willing to toss your ‘theory’ pretty early; but for the purposes of low-altitude rocketry there isn’t much that distinguishes a plane with a little local topographical clutter and a poorly-explained-but-relatively-well-behaved gravitational pull ‘down’ from the messy full-detail model.

Doing a flat-earth orbital insertion or something would be a whole different ballgame; but as long as you are staying well below escape velocity and generously within the atmosphere none of that matters much.

4 Likes

Eh? Where and when was flat-Earth dominant? The classical cultures of the Mediterranean were well aware that it wasn’t flat.

11 Likes

Turns out it’s leftover creation fluff or angel farts or something…

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=63539.0

To address the second part of your question, I do not know if I will continue to make a fool of myself after a half-century of existing, but seeing as I am closing in rapidly on 40, I suspect it’s a bit late to change my ways now.

3 Likes

I think you mean:

Flat earth-preaching rocketeer falsely claims to have gotten off the ground

I haven’t seen any evidence that it’s true, yet. Just some pictures that clearly were faked by a “launched rocket” conspiracy. We here at the Fake Rocket Society know better.

It’s true. The supposed existence of “Flat Earthers” is actually the result of a conspiracy created by a shadowy media cabal to sell more newspapers.

Well, so he says. He seems awfully insistent that he was in the rocket. Methinks he does protest too much.

What, you’re saying he only adopted the “Flat Earth” position as a ruse to fleece idiots out of money to fund his daredevil joy-rides? How dare you impugn his integrity! That’s my job!

11 Likes

who’s feet? that’s the problem with these imprecise units, he could be quoting some small kid’s feet just to inflate how high he went

1 Like

why can’t you see Everest? it’s bigger you should be able to see it from anywhere on earth

2 Likes

He’s part of Big Rocket.

2 Likes

[Citation needed]

Aristotle: Περὶ οὐρανοῦ (for Democritus)
Heroditus: Histories (for himself)
Norse kings: (Prose Edda)

1 Like

Just for comedy value:

14 Likes

Take a trip to LA. You can see the air there…

3 Likes

Like I said… “millennia.” Also, Aristotle, though beloved by dark ages christian theocrats, was not exactly what you would call either an empiricist, or someone with applied knowledge, and plenty of folks whose lives and livelihood depended on knowing the earth was round during Aristotle’s time knew differently.

Conner, C. D. (2005). A People’s History of Science: Miners, Midwives, and Low Mechanicks. Nation Books.

6 Likes

Rich Hall?!

4 Likes

In fact, I think the more thinking people do while still avoiding the truth, the more they deserve the label “idiot”.

When was flat earth theory the dominant theory?
Not in the last two and a half thousand years.

9 Likes

My cats were always like “Hey! I just made sure that the gravity is still on, and you paid the gravity bill this month. Good Job!”

10 Likes

Yes. He was a semi regular on the show for awhile.

2 Likes

good kitty, picked up the spare.

6 Likes

Kindly don’t bring logic into this. You’ll only their these dumb fracktards brains. And hurt their fee-fees.

You can say “tard” as an insult but not “fuck”? Might as well go full asshole.

6 Likes