Flat Earthers: "Australia is fake and all Australians are actors paid by NASA"

I’d just like to point out that the cover image is from Lake Ballard, in Western Australia. The art installation is called “Inside Australia”.

I went there in 2006. You need to find your way to Kalgoorlie (a gold-mining town that has a frontier-to-the-northern-desert feeling), and travel 130 km north to Menzies. At Menzies (population 235), you turn left onto a dirt road and travel another 50 km.

Lake Ballard is an ephemeral salt lake - sometimes it’s a shallow lake, sometimes it’s a salt bed. I got there on a salt bed day.

The humanoid sculptures on the lake are about chest-height on me, and scattered around the lakebed. You’ll need to walk for a few hours to see them all, and it’s well worth it.

This was the first time I really understood the difference between “sculpture” and “installation”. These sculptures would’ve been intriguing in a gallery. But after a long bumpy drive followed by abrupt silence as you stop and switch off the engine, then a walk for several miles over silent empty salt flats, encountering them in small groups, or one-by-one, it’s the kind of art that changed me a little.

[edited for grammar and flow]

Some pics from the time:

45 Likes