Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread) (Part 1)

as the storm gets closer, of course the cone shrinks, and what was yesterday cutting through here, has moved way up the mainland.
if Milton takes a surprise turn to the south, in its nearly 850 mile Gulf crossing [as of 6:30EDT 6 Oct. 24], then the keys would be in trouble.
AS IT IS… friends and comrades across the center of the state - Tampa, I-4 corridor to Orlando (hi, @orenwolf !) - needs to be way more cautious than us keybillies.
y’all be careful, we’re good here.

15 Likes

9 Likes
5 Likes

after nightfall, it looks as if its exploding with moisture intake;

20242802240-20242810410-ABI-AL142024-GEOCOLOR-croped

e/ four hours later its a cat2 and will be cat3 in a few hours.

11 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, all those lost, damaging containers… :angry:

At least some effort is expended on trying to recover them.

3 Likes

oh. only ten hours later its already cat4, bordering with 155 mph at cat5!. wtf?

e/ its 30 minutes later and its a cat5. thats…is that normal? from cat1 to cat5 in what? less than 12 hours?

4 Likes

Brilliant Economist Thomas Piketty’s Plan to Save the World
To cool the planet, close the wealth gap. How? Look to Sweden.
Oct 7, 2024, The Tyee

He offers two key proposals: even highly unequal societies can become more equal (and rich) without violence, and global heating will worsen unless we achieve global equality of wealth.
Piketty argues that “inequality” of income, wealth and social status occurs far more thanks to cultural reasons than to personal ability or character.

Of course, the struggle for equality can be traced from the :fr: Revolution… :roll_eyes:

Reflexive cultural quibbles aside, his new, 96-page book might be a classic.

4 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Hurricane Milton intensifies to ‘potentially catastrophic’ storm

6 Likes

16 Likes
2 Likes

I had just been wondering what the theoretical limit is (if any) on hurricane intensity. Never thought about it before Milton, but now i guess i know :grimacing:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Things like this are why I keep seeing a movement to add a category 6, since 5 has no top end. They didn’t think it was necessary. But I think now it might be. Now, in fairness, 5 is basically “utter fucking devastation.” What is more than that? Blow around the rubble a bit? :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Evacuation has got to be even more difficult with the large elder population in Florida. Who may be less physically capable, have medical issues, may have fewer social connections, may be poorer and may not drive.

7 Likes

mf dont wanna miss the train of the coming zeitgeist in europe;

“…a German court sentenced 65-year-old Winfried Lorenz to 22 months in prison without parole, for his involvement in a climate protest that blocked a road. It is believed to be the longest sentence ever imposed in Berlin against a climate activist.”

6 Likes