Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread) (Part 1)

Currently giving a 40% chance that this thing in the Caribbean will organize into a tropical depression, but that is way too high for my liking.

4 Likes
8 Likes

me guessing most of those 25% increase was in the last two decades.

4 Likes

Imagine being told to go to work with this going on

7 Likes
7 Likes

October, folks…

Nervous Beautiful Day GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

9 Likes

The world’s semiconductor industry hinges on a single quartz factory in North Carolina

ups.

Helene took out an N.C. town the entire tech world relies on

4 Likes

Elokapina ban [Extinction Rebellion]?
The Uutissuomalainen (USU ) news group reported that Lulu Ranne, the Finns Party cabinet minister currently holding the Transport and Communications and Interior portfolios, said she considers it necessary to look into a possible ban on the Finnish environmental movement Elokapina.

Ranne told USU that “quite a lot of red flags” have been raised, which is why she says a review about the disbanding of Elokapina is necessary. She pointed out that under the terms of the Associations Act a group can be dissolved if it is found to constantly break the law and disrupt public order.

“The authorities will consider whether the conditions for dissolution under the Associations Act have now been met. Of course, I am not going to dictate to the competent authorities,” said Ranne.

A citizens’ initiative calling for a ban on the Elokapina movement quickly gathered the 50,000 signatures needed for consideration by Parliament last week.

Ranne also pointed out to the Uutissuomalainen news group that it is very rare in Finland that associations have been dissolved.

“In those cases, we are talking about extremely serious forms of organised crime,” she noted.

3 Likes
8 Likes

The EU’s interest in “radicalisation” also targets climate and environmental activists. The recent Belgian Presidency document states:

“Climate activism is on the rise, together with an increased willingness to use violence, marking a shift from environmental activism to environmental extremism” (emphasis in original).

To back this up, the document refers to a report by the EU Counter-Terrorism Coordinator, which purportedly examined “the role climate change and environmental concerns play in the ideologies and narratives of violent extremists and terrorists in the EU.”

3 Likes
5 Likes

LNG is 33% worse in terms of planet-heating emissions over a 20-year period compared with coal…Drilling, moving, cooling and shipping gas from one country to another uses so much energy that the actual final burning of gas in people’s homes and businesses only accounts for about a third of the total emissions from this process, the research finds**

6 Likes

7 Likes

was just looking at my NOAA weather app. the southern edge of the cone goes thru this island about a half mile up. raining right now “but i don’t think the hard stuffs gonna start for a while…”
another day in paradise! wheee!

10 Likes

Article on understanding and emotionally getting a grasp on climate change when you are vs. aren’t in its current path of destruction.

More than 200 people have been confirmed dead. Hundreds are missing. […] The pillars of western North Carolina’s economy — tourism, art and agriculture — are shut down for the foreseeable future.

and

What’s happening in North Carolina doesn’t feel real. I have no emotional framework for this, no story to help me. Right now, what I desperately need are authentic stories that help us figure out how to be human in this changing world, to face this overwhelming crisis with bravery.

4 Likes

Pay attention to NOAA’s disclaimer.

3 Likes

always!
the NOAA active radar, plus my other marine weather apps that predict wind and current, tides and waves, all have alerts and notifications set. we stay aware of our weather. whether planning a day out on the boat, fishing 5 miles offshore, or securing the property for another tropical storm, we know what is headed our way.
we have to.

11 Likes

stay the f* safe, please!

I had no clue of NOAAs HQ to be located in nc;

e/

The OISST data on this page are sourced from the National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) data center located in Asheville, North Carolina, one of many communities severely impacted by heavy rainfall and historic flooding associated with Hurricane Helene. The NCEI data center has been offline since September 27th, and it is uncertain when service can be restored.

6 Likes

https://itsgoingdown.org/dispatches-from-firestorm/

11 Likes
9 Likes